How to turn off the Function Keys on my PC

Charlie 25 Reputation points
2025-07-22T15:49:40.5966667+00:00

Hi.

SO I got this PC a few months ago and it's completely new, so none of my old settings are on it. I also, before, worked on Windows 10. Now, as I try to play online games or just fat-fingering the keyboard, I'll hit a Function Key and it'll do whatever-turn off the pc, email thing pops up. Ive never had the FN Kerys actually work on any PCs ive owned. Now I dont know how to get rid of them so the keys are able to be used in other ways.

I tried looking up a guide but as I followed it, (Hitting Windows + i, going to System and then Keyboard) I cant find the Keyboard section. When I type in Keyboard to my settings none of what im looking for comes up.

I just want to turn off my Fn Keys. Please help. Im not totally computer savvy so any help would be great, and please tell it to me like im 5 so I can follow it proper.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Settings

Answer accepted by question author
Jerald Felix 18,840 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2025-07-22T15:55:37.93+00:00

Hello Charlie,

It sounds like you're on Windows 11 now, and yeah, the settings can be a bit different from Windows 10. Don't worry, I'll walk you through this super simply, step by step, like you're five promise it's easy to follow. We're gonna try a few common fixes that usually work for most PCs. If one doesn't click, just move to the next.

Option 1: First, Check for a Quick Keyboard Toggle

A lot of keyboards have a built-in way to "lock" or turn off the Fn keys without digging into settings. It's like flipping a switch on the keyboard itself.

  • Look at your keyboard: Do you see an "Fn" key (usually near the bottom left, next to Ctrl)? And is there an "Fn Lock" or "Esc" key that might have a little lock icon?

Try holding down the Fn key and pressing Esc at the same time. This toggles the Fn lock on many laptops and keyboards. If it works, your F1-F12 keys will act like normal keys (for games or shortcuts) instead of doing special stuff like turning off the PC or opening email.

Test it out: Press F11 or something— if it doesn't do the weird function, you're good! If it still does, no biggie, let's try the next thing.

Option 2: Dive Into Your PC's Settings (Windows 11 Style)

You mentioned trying Windows + I and not finding the keyboard spot— that happens because Windows 11 moved some things around. Let's find it properly.

Press the Windows key (the one with the window logo) + I to open Settings. It's like the control center for your PC.

On the left side, click on "Bluetooth & devices" (it might say "Devices" on some versions).

Scroll down a bit and look for "Keyboard" or "Additional keyboard settings." If you see it, click it.

Inside there, you might find an option like "Use the F1-F12 keys as standard function keys" or something similar. Turn that on (or off, depending on the wording) to make them behave normally.

If you don't see that exact option, type "keyboard" into the search bar at the top of Settings and see if "Keyboard properties" pops up. Click that and look for any Fn key toggles.

Still no luck? Your PC might need a special trick based on who made it (like Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc.). Tell me your PC brand if you can, and I can give more tailored steps!

Option 3: The BIOS Way (A Bit More Advanced, But Doable)

This is like going into your PC's secret menu before Windows starts. It's safe, but follow carefully.

Restart your PC.

As it's booting up (right when the logo appears), start tapping a key like F2, Del, or Esc repeatedly. (Common ones: F10 for HP, F2 for Dell, Enter then F1 for Lenovo—google your PC model + "enter BIOS" if unsure.)

Once in BIOS (it looks like an old-school menu), use arrow keys to navigate. Look for a tab like "Advanced" or "System Configuration."

Find something called "Action Keys Mode" or "Function Key Behavior." Change it from "Enabled" to "Disabled" (this turns off the special Fn functions).

Save and exit (usually F10 to save, then Enter).

Your PC restarts, and boom—Fn keys should be off.

If Nothing Works

If these don't do the trick, it might be your specific keyboard or a driver thing. You could try:

Updating your keyboard drivers: Right-click Start button > Device Manager > Keyboards > Right-click your keyboard > Update driver.

Or download software from your PC maker's website (like HP Support Assistant for HP machines) which often has Fn(function) key controls.

Give one of these a shot and let me know how it goes so we can tweak from there. You've got this! 😊

Best Regards,

Jerald Felix

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.

0 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.