OneNote: You can't access this item

Michael Hengeli 0 Reputation points
2026-10-09T19:38:47.0433333+00:00

I get permission errors on all my notebooks in OneNote. I am logged successfully. I can see the list of every OneNote notebook I have created, but when I drill into them I get this error.

You can't access this item

You (******@email.com) don't have permission to access this item.

View technical details

Correlation ID: [--PII--]

Date and Time: [--PII--]

User ID: ******@email.com

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Lucus-V 13,735 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-10-10T16:52:13.0666667+00:00

    Hi Michael Hengeli,

    Please note that our Microsoft Q&A forum is a public platform, and we will modify your response/ question to hide your personal information in the description. Kindly ensure that you hide any personal or organizational information the next time you post an error or other details to protect personal data.

    Thank you for posting in the Microsoft Q&A community.

    To better understand the issue, could you please clarify a few details?

    • Are you using a personal Microsoft account or a work/school account?
    • Does this happen in the OneNote desktop app, OneNote for Windows, OneNote on the web, or all of them?
    • Can you access the notebooks directly through OneDrive on the web?
    • Have you tested with a different browser or device, and if so, do you see the same error there?

    Since the error appears for all notebooks rather than a specific notebook, this may help determine whether the issue is related to notebook permissions, OneDrive access, or the account itself.

    Please let us know the results, and we will try to suggest the most appropriate next steps based on what you find.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.