Microsoft Word Paste Link Fails with Excel Cells

David Holley 0 Reputation points
2026-10-09T16:59:30.82+00:00

Until recently, I was able to do a paste link in Word from a copy of a cell in Excel and have the Word document automatically update the value when the value in the Excel cell changed. Now, when I open the Word document, I get "Error! Not a valid link." Both documents are in folders managed by OneDrive and I understand that this is cause of the problem and is a Microsoft bug that hasn't been fixed. When is Microsoft going to fix this bug? This is useful functionality that has cost me a lot of time to have to paste the cell values into Word each time I update my Excel calculated values.

I've been told to move my documents to folders that are not managed by OneDrive to fix this problem, which is not acceptable. Basically, Microsoft Word and Excel functionality are broken by Microsoft OneDrive. I've used AI tools to try to fix it to no avail and finally was told the above solution or replacing the cut/paste insert option with VB code are my only options at this point. Again, not acceptable

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows
0 comments No comments

4 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Xavier-D 13,865 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-10-10T02:34:40.6366667+00:00

    Hello David Holley,

    I understand how disruptive this is, especially when the Excel-to-Word links previously updated automatically.

    A linked Excel object in Word stores the location of the source workbook. If OneDrive changes how that location is resolved, Word may no longer be able to find the source and can display “Error! Not a valid link.” However, I could not find an official Microsoft notice confirming this specific behavior as a known OneDrive bug or providing a date for a fix.

    Please try the following:

    1. Make sure both files are fully downloaded to the computer and available offline, rather than shown as online-only OneDrive files.
    2. Open the Excel workbook first, and then open the Word document.
    3. In Word, select File > Info > Edit Links to Files, if that option is available.
    4. Select the affected Excel link, choose Change Source, and select the current Excel workbook from its OneDrive-synced folder.
    5. Choose Update Now, save the Word document, close both applications, and test again.

    If Edit Links to Files is unavailable or the repaired link breaks again, create a small test workbook and Word document in the same OneDrive folder and recreate the link using Paste Special > Paste Link > Microsoft Excel Worksheet Object. This can help determine whether the issue affects the existing documents specifically or all linked files in the OneDrive location.

    Moving the files outside OneDrive can be used as a temporary diagnostic test, but I agree that it is not an ideal permanent solution. If the behavior also occurs with newly created files, please report it through Word > File > Feedback.

    Feel free reply back to this post if you need further assistance, I'll be happy to help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. David Holley 0 Reputation points
    2026-10-10T16:49:51.57+00:00

    I did as you requested. The links seem to work for a while but break later. I noticed the Source File uses the OneDrive location even though my Spreadsheet is on my local drive. I'm guessing that's the problem - the OneDrive location changes arbitrarily and that breaks the links. I've tried hitting the Change Source button and pointing to my local file. It shows that file in the Source file field but when I hit OK, it says the source file cannot be found.

    I've tried many options to fix this (some with the help of AI) and nothing seems to work. There are other posts talking about this same issue. Gemini (Google's AI tool), after sending me down the wrong path several times concluded that there is not workaround except moving the files out of a location managed by OneDrive. I'm surprised that there's not a problem documented with a time for a fix. I pay for an Office 365 subscription. This is the first time I've asked for help and am disappointed with the lack of support to fix, or at least, acknowledge the problem.

    As I originally stated, this is are recent problem - starting sometime in August. Prior to that, it worked fine. This has caused me a lot of wasted time and effort trying to fix the problem. Now I just paste the values in every time my Excel values change - which is a lot of manual effort that should not be necessary.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.