Need bitlock recovery key, but my device is missing from the list of devices

Millie Covey 0 Reputation points
2026-10-09T14:22:57.9033333+00:00

After I ran a Microsoft Defender scan, it requires a Bitlock Recovery key, but my personal PC is missing from the Device list on my account. So I can't find a way to obtain the bit lock recovery key. More importantly, I'm concerned why the device is missing from my device list. I'm wondering if it's because I chose to renew Microsoft mid-year because of a 50% off discount. If so, did this screw up my account? Thanks!

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Recovery and backup
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
EmilyS726 271.7K Reputation points Independent Advisor
2026-10-09T14:54:57.7433333+00:00

I wish I could share good news, but the truth is no one can get you the bitlocker key, including Microsoft staff/support. https://support.microsoft.com/windows/find-your-bitlocker-recovery-key-6b71ad27-0b89-ea08-f143-056f5ab347d6 The link here says:"Important: Microsoft Support doesn't have the ability to retrieve, provide, or recreate a lost BitLocker recovery key."

Is this where you looked? https://account.microsoft.com/devices/recoverykey

If you set it up with school or work account, it is worth checking here as well https://aka.ms/aadrecoverykey sign in with your work/school email credential in that case.

Any chance your laptop was purchased used, or already set up for you? Or was it gifted? Or have you set it up with a different account at first? The key is stored with the very Microsoft account used to set up the computer for the first time, even if you had got rid of that account and set it up with a different account. So, if your computer was set up by anyone at the store you bought it from, it would be that person's account.

I assume you don't remember opting out of not saving it in Microsoft account, and saving it to a local file instead? That's another possibility.

If you can't find it at all, there's really no way to go around it. Bitlocker means business. If it can be bypassed, then it means the encryption is not working. Your only option is to do a clean install of Windows. In that case, you do lose your files. I am very sorry.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

1 additional answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Millie Covey 0 Reputation points
    2026-10-09T16:42:54.9933333+00:00

    Thank you for explaining the situation. My only question is whether MS does actually have the recovery key, since the laptop WAS listed, along with several others, as part of my MS365 subscription. Any possibility there? Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.