Stuck in Authenticator Loop after deleting account from authenticator

Tony Fontana 20 Reputation points
2026-10-08T15:06:11.0333333+00:00

Hi - I was attempting to setup MFA for a work account, setup the account in Authenticator, then got into a “request timed out” loop on the mysignins.Microsoft.com site.

I deleted the account from Authenticator, in an attempt to “start over”, and now I’m in an endless loop where I need Authenticator to setup Authenticator. Every time I go back to mysignins, it restarts the loop.

I now get the notification on my phone to approve sign in through Authenticator, but then it asks me to verify with Authenticator, which I can’t do because the account isn’t in there anymore

help please

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For business | Other
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Hendrix 1,990 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2026-10-08T16:21:38.1733333+00:00

Hi Tony,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble signing in to your Microsoft account.

From what you've described, you need to reset your Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) setup. This issue can sometimes happen after reinstalling the Microsoft Authenticator app and leave you stuck in a sign-in loop.

Because you're using a work account, the MFA settings are managed by your organization's IT administrator. Unfortunately, this isn't something that can be reset from the user side.

I'd recommend reaching out to your organization's IT administrator and explaining that you're unable to sign in because you're stuck with the Microsoft Authenticator app and are no longer receiving authentication prompts or codes.

You can specifically ask whether they can:

  • Reset your MFA settings
  • Require MFA re-registration
  • Remove your existing Authenticator registration so you can set it up again

You may also want to share the following Microsoft article with them: Manage authentication methods for Microsoft Entra multifactor authentication - Microsoft Entra ID | …

If you are unsure who your IT administrator is, you can refer to this official Microsoft guide: How do I find my Microsoft 365 admin? - Microsoft Support

Once your IT administrator resets your MFA registration, you should be able to sign in again and go through the Microsoft Authenticator setup process from the beginning, including scanning a new QR code on your device.

I hope this points you in the right direction. If you receive any updates from your IT team or run into any issues along the way, feel free to reply with more details, and I'll be happy to help further.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

1 additional answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. AI answer

    2026-10-08T15:06:25.86+00:00

    For a work or school account, this loop usually cannot be fixed from the app after the Authenticator entry was deleted. The account is still registered in the organization, so sign-in keeps expecting approval from the old Authenticator registration.

    Try these steps first:

    1. On the sign-in screen, select Sign in another way or I can’t use my Microsoft Authenticator app right now if that option appears.
    2. If another method is available, use it to complete sign-in.
    3. If no other method is available, contact the organization’s IT admin and ask them to:
      • Require re-register MFA for the account
      • Revoke existing MFA sessions
    4. After the reset, sign in again and set up Microsoft Authenticator from scratch.

    If notifications are appearing but authentication still does not complete, also check these device-side items:

    1. Make sure Microsoft Authenticator is unlocked.
    2. Make sure push notifications are enabled for the app.
    3. Confirm the phone has internet connectivity.
    4. Make sure the device date and time are correct and set automatically.
    5. Update Microsoft Authenticator to the latest version.

    If the account was restored to a new phone, seeing “Sign in to add your account.” for a work or school account after restore is expected, and the account must be opened and signed in again.

    If the issue continues, open Authenticator, go to the app’s top-level menu, select Send feedback, and send logs for diagnostics, then reach out to the IT admin.


    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.