Microsoft 365 Sole Global Administrator Locked Out Due to Lost MFA – Tenant Recovery Required

Radhakrishna Gavara 0 Reputation points
2026-10-08T12:49:13.2+00:00

Hello Microsoft Support Team,

I am seeking assistance with a Microsoft 365 Business tenant lockout.

I am the sole Global Administrator of our Microsoft 365 Business tenant. I know the administrator password and have successfully reset it, but I no longer have access to the Microsoft Authenticator device previously registered to the administrator account.

When I attempt to sign in, Microsoft only provides the old Authenticator approval or verification-code options. I no longer have access to the old Authenticator device, and there is no other Global Administrator who can reset or reconfigure MFA.

I therefore cannot access the Microsoft 365 Admin Center.

I have also attempted to contact Microsoft Support by phone multiple times and waited approximately 30–40 minutes on multiple occasions, but I was unable to connect with a support representative.

Microsoft's India Grievance Office has advised me that I need an existing Microsoft Support case number before they can escalate my complaint.

This appears to be a Microsoft 365 Business tenant lockout involving a sole Global Administrator who has lost access to MFA.

Could a Microsoft employee please advise me on the correct supported process for creating an official Microsoft 365 Business support case and escalating this to the appropriate tenant recovery/Data Protection team?

I can provide tenant ID, domain ownership, company information, subscription/billing information, and administrator details privately through the official Microsoft Support process.

Thank you.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For business | Other
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Daniel-Vo 6,695 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-10-08T15:43:04.2733333+00:00

    Dear @Radhakrishna Gavara ,

    Good day! Welcome to Microsoft Q&A forum!

    First of all, I would like to clarify one point: this forum is intended for users to assist one another. No one, including myself, has the authority or the tools to unlock MFA on your behalf.

    Based on your description, I understand that you're the sole administrator of your Microsoft 365 Business tenant and are locked out of your account because your MFA was tied to an old phone. You're looking for assistance with admin account recovery and guidance on reaching Microsoft's Data Protection Team.

    As an alternative, you can create a new trial tenant and submit your request from there.    

    To set up a new trial, please follow these steps: 

    Once your tenant is created, you should be able to access the support portal and submit your ticket referencing your locked account without further issues.

    In the ticket's description, you could refer to this message

    "Hello,

    I am currently locked out of my Microsoft 365 tenant because multi-factor authentication is enforced, and I am unable to complete the verification process. I am the only global administrator for this tenant, which means I cannot access my account or the Microsoft 365 Admin Center.

    To resolve this, I have created a new tenant and would like to be connected with the Data Protection Team to verify my identity and assist with regaining access. I am available to provide any required documentation or verification to support the recovery process."

    Ticket Support: Log in the Microsoft 365 Admin Center using the newly created trial admin account (not the currently locked one) > Support > Help & Support. You can raise support ticket at: https://admin.microsoft.com/#/support/requests   

    When you open a support ticket, please make sure to turn off the Support Assistant (AI) in the help panel.  

    Several customers have reported issues when the Support Assistant is turned on  the system sometimes fails to display the “Contact Support” option.  

    As shown in the screenshot, simply switch Support Assistant > Off, then type your issue description.  Once the AI is off, the “Contact Support” button will appear normally, allowing you to submit a ticket directly.

    User's image

    • After clicking on "Help & Support" button, you can type "I need agent support via phone or email". After that, you can click on "Contact support" 
    • Choose contact method: "Phone" 
    • Fill all the information in this contact support details, please describe your situation carefully so they will have enough information to help you. 
    • Finally, click on "Contact me"
    • After completing them, you will receive an email appointment for a meeting to review this issue professionally together. 
    • For more details, you could refer to this article: Get support for Microsoft 365 for business 
    • Please remember to cancel the trial subscription once your issue is resolved to avoid any unintended charges.

    If you do not want to create a trial tenant, please refer to the suggestions for opening a support ticket with Microsoft via phone. Please try to find the related hotline number to call the frontline let them raise a ticket for you: Technical or Sales support phone numbers (for Work account, scroll down to find your region's number) 

    In some countries, this is an automated conversation: First, when you call the hotline, they will ask you what kind of problem you are struggling with. 

    Answer: Authenticator.

    A: What products do you use?

    B: Office 365 for business. 

    Verification: Education or company account? 

    B: For companies 

    A: Are you an administrator? 

    B: Yes. 

    A: Are there any other administrators in your organization? 

    B: No. 

    A: I need one.... Service request? 

    B: Yes 

    (Important Note: Sometimes, you would hear the computer-generated voice at first, please kindly wait for it to end, and if an agent is available, you would be directed to them and get your support. Depending on your country or region, when you call the support number, you may hear an introduction of about 30 seconds such as "You can visit the link...". You can ignore this introduction and wait until you are presented with the options. Then press "1" as a business email user, and again "1" for technical help.) 

    Kindly let me know when there are updates or if you need further assistance. Any updates you’re able to share would be really helpful.

    I'm here and happy to help! Thank you for your kindness and patience! 


    If you have additional questions regarding this response, kindly click Comment.

    Note: Please follow the steps in forum documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.