Data Protection / Tenant Recovery escalation

AT 0 Reputation points
2026-10-08T12:12:06.54+00:00

I am the sole Global Administrator of a Microsoft 365 Business tenant and I am locked out because MFA is not functioning correctly.

My administrator username and password are accepted, but I cannot complete MFA.

Microsoft Authenticator is installed on my iPhone and the account appears as a connected Microsoft Entra ID account, but I do not receive Authenticator push or number-matching requests.

The alternative telephone verification method also fails. The Microsoft verification call reaches my mobile, but pressing the # key is not recognised.

On another attempt, the browser reported that I had hung up while the Microsoft recorded message was still playing.

There is no other Global Administrator who can reset my authentication methods.

I have attempted Microsoft telephone support approximately eight times in both English and German. The automated system loops or disconnects the call before I can speak to a support representative.

This is therefore a sole Global Administrator tenant lockout.

Please escalate this case to the Microsoft Data Protection / Tenant Recovery team so that tenant ownership can be verified and the MFA/authentication methods for the sole Global Administrator can be reset.

I can provide privately:

Tenant/domain details

Administrator account details

Microsoft 365 billing/subscription information

Proof of company/domain ownership

DNS verification, including adding a TXT record if required

Telephone contact details

Any other information required to establish ownership

Please do not publish personal or tenant-identifying information publicly. I am happy to provide it privately to Microsoft staff.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For business | Other
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. BabybooHN 3,380 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-08T12:55:42.9033333+00:00

    Dear @AT

    Thank you for providing such a detailed explanation. I understand how frustrating this situation must be, especially after multiple unsuccessful attempts to contact Microsoft Support.

    Since you are the sole Global Administrator, your password is accepted, and both Microsoft Authenticator and telephone verification are failing, this appears to be an MFA-related administrator lockout that requires Microsoft’s assistance.

    Unfortunately, as a Microsoft Q&A Independent Advisor, I cannot directly access your tenant, reset your MFA methods, or escalate a case internally to Microsoft’s Data Protection team.

    Given that telephone support has repeatedly failed, I recommend the following alternative:

    1. Please follow this link to create a trial tenant after that you will be able to access to Microsoft 365 Admin Center to raise the ticket
    2. Sign in to Microsoft Admin Center with the temporary tenant’s administrator account.
    3. Assuming that you have already created an account after registering a free trial and you can go to Microsoft 365 admin center and click "Help & support" icon to raise your ticket.       User's image

    Please mention that you are raising ticket on behalf of the affected tenant that you do not have access to.

    On the other hand, if you do create the trial and it resolves the issue, please remember to cancel the subscription afterward to avoid any related charges. 

    Important: Creating a temporary tenant does not restore access to your original tenant automatically. It is simply an alternative way to reach Microsoft Business Support. Support may need to verify ownership and transfer or route the case to the appropriate team.

    For reference, Microsoft’s official guidance is available here:

    Get support for Microsoft 365 for business

    I understand this involves an additional step, but given the repeated telephone support failures, I believe this is a practical alternative worth trying.

    I hope you can regain access to your tenant as soon as possible.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.