Can't activate Excel on mac

Fiona A 0 Reputation points
2026-10-07T16:25:46.7966667+00:00

Suddenly I can't save Excel worksheets. It tells me to activate my account, but when I try to do that (I get as far as entering my email), it gives an error message ('unknown error'). I've checked and Office 365 subscription is up to date. I've tried uninstalling Office licence without success.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | MacOS

Answer recommended by moderator
Fiona A 0 Reputation points
2026-10-07T16:54:36.3766667+00:00

I've now resolved it by reinstalling MS 365, I was then able to activate my account. But what a complete waste of a couple of hours! The suggestions provided by AI support didn't work for me.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

1 additional answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Xavier-D 13,840 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-10-08T00:23:33.6133333+00:00

    Hello Fiona A,

    I’m glad to hear that reinstalling Microsoft 365 resolved the activation issue and that you were finally able to activate Excel.

    I completely understand your frustration, especially after spending several hours trying suggestions that did not work in your case.

    Thank you for returning to share what worked. I’ll recommend your answer so that other users experiencing a similar activation issue can find this solution more easily.

    Have a nice day.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.