STOP READ ONLY ON ALL EXCEL FILES

Alan Phillips 0 Reputation points
2026-10-06T19:21:54.78+00:00

SOME EXCEL FILES CHANGED TO READ ONLY. HOW CAN I MAKE THOSE FILES NOT READ ONLY AND HOW I DO I PREVENT FILES BEING CONVERTED TO READ ONLY

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For business | Windows

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Andreas Killer 144.1K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2026-10-07T05:23:59.2066667+00:00

    Hi Alan,

    There are various possibilities why this happens. Please read this article and review the individual points:
    https://support.microsoft.com/office/collab-files/why-did-my-file-open-read-only

    Andreas.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Ryan-N 16,105 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-10-06T19:40:55.7966667+00:00

    Hi Alan,

    Welcome to the Microsoft Q&A forum.

    To turn off Read-only mode for Excel files, you can try the following steps:

    1. Disable the Read-only attribute for the file

    Right-click the Excel file > select Properties > uncheck Read-only > select Apply > OK.

    1. Disable the option to always open the file in Read-only mode in Excel
    • Open the Excel file > select File > Info > Protect Workbook.
    • Uncheck Always Open Read-Only.
    1. If the file was shared with you by someone else

    If the file was shared with you and you only have read-only access, you will need to contact the file owner and ask them to check your permissions and grant you Edit access.

     I hope this information is helpful.

    If you have any questions or need further assistance, please feel free to share them in the comments on this post so I can continue to support you.

    I look forward to continuing the conversation.


    If the answer is helpful, please click "Yes" and kindly upvote it.

    Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.  

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.