Managing profiles and sync in Microsoft Edge on Windows 10
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
When I try to access the password manager inside my Microsoft Edge, it asks me to sign in to my Microsoft Account. When I try to do so with my valid Microsoft Account name and password (which works when I log in directly to my Microsoft Account), Microsoft Edge rejects this account, and demands I use another Account Name. How do I get Microsoft Edge to recognize my correct Microsoft Account name and password?
Managing profiles and sync in Microsoft Edge on Windows 10
Hi Steven Nowick,
Based on your description, it sounds like Edge may be associating the Password Manager with a different profile than the Microsoft account you're trying to use. This can happen if the browser profile and the account used elsewhere in Microsoft services do not match.
As an alternative check, try creating a fresh Edge profile and test the sign-in there:
If the sign-in works in the new profile, the issue is likely isolated to the original Edge profile configuration rather than the Microsoft account itself.
You can also test in an InPrivate window to see whether the same account prompt appears. If it does not, that may further indicate a profile-specific setting or stored sign-in state affecting the original profile.
I hope this helps point you in the right direction. Let me know if you need further assistance, feel free to ask me by clicking "Add Comment" or "Add Answer" if you cannot add comment so your response will be visible. Thanks for your effort.
Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.
AI answer
This usually happens when Microsoft Edge has a conflicting signed-in profile, cached credentials, or both a personal and work/school account associated with the same email address.
Try these steps in order:
edge://settings/profiles.edge://settings/profiles, review all profiles.edge://settings/privacy.MicrosoftAccount or login.microsoftonline.com.edge://settings/profiles and sign in with the account that works on the Microsoft account website.edge://settings/help and let it install the latest version.If the issue continues on Windows, also check:
References: