Bought Microsoft 365 for Mac through Apple App Store and it will not download?

DebTom 0 Reputation points
2025-11-04T00:50:49.3633333+00:00

Purchased Microsoft 365 trial subscription for MacBook Air through Apple App Store and received purchase confirmation. Microsoft 365 will not download and no installer in the downloads folder. Clicking the download arrow in the App Store eventually completes and I press the OPEN button but it only provides a read-only version.

The subscription is verified at microsoft.com but it will not download the workable, purchased version. Apple support has spent several hours on the phone with me; there is no apparent problem on the Apple side. I understand there are others in the Microsoft community with this same problem. Has anyone found a solution? Does anyone know if Microsoft has acknowledged the problem? Has Microsoft provided a solution?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | MacOS

3 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. DebTom 0 Reputation points
    2025-11-10T21:02:47.1433333+00:00

    Sumit D - IA, I have tried everything I could find from Microsoft to remedy the problem but the installation continues to bring me to a read-only version. In an additional session with Apple I confirmed that I can convert my Word and Excel files into Pages and Numbers files on my Mac. Since I had already logged about 20 hours on this issue, I gave up. With my PC/Mac-compatible external drive, I can quickly and easily pull my files over. I can convert them as I need to work with them. The bottom line is if anyone had known the problem was going to eat up so many resources to no avail, I would have just used the external drive in the first place. I still see no indication that Microsoft is working on this precise problem. I am very grateful that you jumped in to help and I wish we could have been successful.

    BTW, as this is my first Mac and I am pretty awkward (spending all time on this one problem) with all aspects of operation, the thought of downloading an alternate browser is daunting. eeek.

    Again, thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. SD - IA 180.7K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-11-04T12:24:26.4433333+00:00

    Thanks, That is weird. Maybe try with Chrome or Edge? It is a .pkg file intended for Mac.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  3. SD - IA 180.7K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-11-04T01:33:24.3966667+00:00

    Hi Debtom,

    Please try the following link:

    https://officecdn.microsoft.com/pr/C1297A47-86C4-4C1F-97FA-950631F94777/MacAutoupdate/Microsoft_365_and_Office_16.102.25101223_Installer.pkg

    Sign in with the Microsoft account you linked and let me know if it works.

    I look forward to your response and am eager to collaborate until we find a solution.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.