An App installed by someone phishing won't delete

RMM 0 Reputation points
2025-09-03T19:58:11.55+00:00

I was almost scammed, I dialed number from a Google serarch, that indicated it was a live Microsoft person who than downloaded a software ScreenConnet. Once I realized I wasn't speaking with a Microsoft person I hung up. I can't get ScreenConnet to delete from my programs. Any suggestions?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Apps
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Jeronimo Fuerte 46,750 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-09-03T22:35:31.71+00:00

    Hi! You did the right thing by stopping the call when you realized it was a scam. Since ScreenConnect is a remote-access tool, it’s important to fully remove it to prevent further access.

    Immediately disconnect from the internet (unplug Ethernet or turn off Wi-Fi) until you are sure the software is removed. Change your Microsoft account password and any other sensitive accounts you accessed from that PC, then uninstall ScreenConnect

    1. Press Windows + R, type appwiz.cpl, and press Enter to open Programs and Features.
    2. Look for ScreenConnect or ConnectWise Control Client.
    3. Select it > click Uninstall.
    4. If it refuses to uninstall, try again after restarting your computer in Safe Mode: Hold Shift while clicking Restart > Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Startup Settings > Restart > choose option 4: Safe Mode.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.

  2. JFranck 0 Reputation points
    2026-04-30T02:13:23.0833333+00:00

    I am having a similar issue, but I never installed the Connectwise or Screenconnect myself. I know someone has been gaining access to my laptop. I am getting a fake windows update in progress screen but I can see the mouse moving on the screen. I am getting authorization codes I did not ask for. I have followed the steps to delete the programs, but it is not showing in my programs for me to delete it. I have the Screenconnect icon in my tray that continues to say "waiting to connect or connecting. Any ideas on how to delete it when I can't find it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.