How to log into my laptop

Nuur-Deen Abubakar 0 Reputation points
2026-10-07T15:08:36.2933333+00:00

Okay, so I have a Microsoft Edge account on my phone. But I'm trying to log use that same account to log on to my Dell laptop. I'm having a problem. I've done this countless of times still. It keeps giving me a pop up at the end. Towards the end. That they have Microsoft Office team have received a report. And hence I'll not be able to log into my account. I've done it several. You know I have an active account on my phone. I have a passkey and everything. I use the passkey to even to I use the QR code they give me on the screen. Using my phone to scan in as the passkey. Did everything. And towards the end the give me the same pop up. So right now what should I do?

Microsoft Edge | Profile, sync, and sign in | Windows 11
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Manoel Barros 22,065 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-07T16:02:36.32+00:00

    Hi!

    Please answer the questions below so I can get more information about the problem:

    What is the exact text of the pop-up? You can send me a screenshot.

    Where exactly are you trying to sign in? Windows Settings, Microsoft Store, or the Microsoft website?

    Is the laptop new or has it just been reformatted? Were you already using an account on it before?

    Have you tried signing in using a method other than the QR code?

    Was this answer helpful?


  2. AI answer

    2026-10-07T15:08:57.2+00:00

    Try these checks in order. Since the sign-in starts but fails near the end, the most likely causes are an Edge profile issue, cached credentials, Windows account integration, or a passkey validation problem.

    1. Verify whether the account itself can sign in on the web.
      • For a personal Microsoft account, try signing in at https://account.microsoft.com.
      • If the account cannot sign in there either, the issue is with the account or verification method, not Edge.
    2. Clear Edge sign-in data.
      • Open Microsoft Edge and go to edge://settings/privacy.
      • Under Clear browsing data, select Choose what to clear.
      • Select:
        • Cookies and other site data
        • Cached images and files
      • Set the time range to All time.
      • Select Clear now.
      • Restart Edge and try signing in again.
      • Note: clearing cookies signs out of websites.
    3. Remove conflicting saved credentials in Windows.
      • Open Credential Manager from Control Panel.
      • Under Windows Credentials and Generic Credentials, remove entries related to MicrosoftAccount or login.microsoftonline.com.
      • Restart the laptop and try signing in again.
    4. Create a fresh Edge profile instead of reusing the current one.
      • Go to edge://settings/profiles.
      • If there is a problematic profile, sign out of it.
      • If the issue continues, remove that profile and then restart Edge.
      • Sign in again and create a new profile.
      • Warning: removing a profile deletes local browsing data for that profile, including favorites, history, and passwords that are not synced.
    5. Update Edge.
      • Go to edge://settings/help.
      • Let Edge install the latest version, then restart it.
    6. Check Windows account connection.
      • Go to Settings > Accounts > Your info and confirm the account is connected.
      • If this is a work or school account, also check Settings > Accounts > Access work or school.
      • If needed, disconnect and reconnect the work or school account there, then try Edge sign-in again.
    7. If using a passkey with QR code, check the passkey requirements.
      • Bluetooth must be enabled on both the laptop and the phone.
      • Both devices must be in range and connected to the internet.
      • If the QR code does not complete sign-in, try again after refreshing the sign-in page.
      • If a message appears that the passkey is no longer valid or can no longer be used, set up a new passkey and delete old passkeys that no longer apply.
    8. If the passkey route keeps failing, use another sign-in method once, then clean up old passkeys.
      • If Edge offers Sign in another way, use that option.
      • After signing in, remove outdated passkeys from the account or authenticator app and create a new passkey.

    If the same failure still appears after these steps, use Microsoft Support from the sign-in troubleshooting flow.


    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.