Got a fake virus popup, closed it without sharing info — do I need to worry?

Shyam Sundar 20 Reputation points
2026-10-07T05:01:10.0333333+00:00

I really need urgent help. A very scary popup suddenly came up on my Windows 10 screen, it looked like a virus warning and really frightened me. I hung up and closed everything immediately. I did NOT click any links, did NOT call any number, and did NOT share any personal information.

I read a thread on VoxoTalk saying if you don't share any info you are safe, but I'm still scared and worried. I'm just a normal human, not tech-savvy, and I make mistakes like everyone else.

Please tell me what I should do now. Is my PC safe? Do I need to do something urgently? I would really appreciate any help as soon as possible.

Thank you so much.

Windows for home | Other | Security and privacy
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author

AI answer

2026-10-07T05:01:28.3666667+00:00

If nothing was clicked, no number was called, no software was installed, and no information was shared, this was most likely a tech support scam page and the PC is likely safe.

What to do now:

  1. Close the browser if it is still open. If the popup returns and the browser will not close, press Ctrl+Alt+Del, open Task Manager, and end the browser task.
  2. If the browser offers to restore the previous tab or session, do not restore it, or the scam page may reopen.
  3. Run a full scan with Windows Security to check for malware.
  4. Go to Start > Settings > Windows Update > Check for updates and install available security updates.
  5. If any unfamiliar apps were installed recently, uninstall them.
  6. If personal information, passwords, or payment details were not shared, no urgent account recovery step is indicated from this incident alone.

Important signs this was a scam:

  • Real Microsoft error and warning messages do not include phone numbers.
  • Microsoft does not make unsolicited phone calls to tell people there is a problem with their device.
  • Scam pages often use full-screen warnings, repeated pop-ups, and alarming sounds to make the device appear locked.

Urgent action is mainly needed only if remote access was allowed, software was installed, money was paid, or passwords/payment details were shared. In that case, uninstall the software, run a full Windows Security scan, apply updates, change passwords, and contact the card provider if payment was made.

The main immediate step here is a Windows Security full scan for peace of mind.


AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.

1 additional answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Shyam Sundar 20 Reputation points
    2026-10-07T05:04:39.36+00:00

    Thank you so much for the answer, I accept it and I feel relieved now. 🙏

    So just to confirm again in my own words: since nothing was clicked, no number was called, no software was installed, and no information was shared, this was most likely just a tech support scam page and my PC is likely safe.

    I also read the same thing on a VoxoTalk thread, so now I really think I am safe. Thank God.

    I'm just a normal human, not tech-savvy, and I make mistakes like everyone else — so thank you for explaining it clearly. I will run a quick scan just to be sure and then relax.

    Thanks again for your help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.