error code 0xc0e90002

Zuelia Taylor 0 Reputation points
2026-10-06T10:36:35.1066667+00:00

I couldn't take my exam today because Respondus LockDown Browser stopped working on my Windows computer.

I already had LockDown Browser installed and have used it previously without this issue. Today, when I attempted to access my exam, LockDown Browser would not work. I contacted my school’s technical support and followed their troubleshooting instructions, including uninstalling, downloading, and reinstalling LockDown Browser, but the problem is still occurring.

I am receiving error code 0xc0e90002, and Windows also says it cannot recognize or verify the publisher of LockDown Browser.

I also tried contacting LockDown Browser/Respondus support, but I haven't been able to speak with anyone who can help resolve the issue.

At this point, I do not know whether the problem is with Windows, a Windows security setting, or LockDown Browser itself. I need help determining why Windows isn't recognizing the publisher and why LockDown Browser will not run on my computer.

I can provide the exact error code and screenshots of the messages I am receiving.

Microsoft Edge | Other | Windows 11
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Emma1-N 13,430 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-10-06T23:57:56.1+00:00

    Welcome Zuelia Taylor,

    I understand how frustrating this must be, especially when it prevented you from taking your exam despite having used LockDown Browser successfully before.

    To help determine whether this is a Windows trust/signature issue or a LockDown Browser issue, could you please provide:

    • A screenshot of the exact error message showing error code 0xc0e90002.
    • The exact version of Windows 11 you are using. Press Windows + R, type winver, and share the version shown.
    • When you right-click the LockDown Browser installer or executable file and select Properties > Digital Signatures, do you see a Respondus signature listed?

    In the meantime, please try these quick checks:

    • Open Windows Security > Virus & threat protection > Protection history and see whether Windows Security has recently blocked or quarantined any LockDown Browser files.
    • Open Windows Security > App & browser control > Reputation-based protection settings and check whether there are any warnings related to the application.
    • Download a fresh copy of LockDown Browser directly from your school's learning portal or official Respondus-provided link rather than using a previously saved installer, then compare whether the new installer shows a valid publisher under Properties > Digital Signatures.

    Looking forward to your update.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.