Unable to access Azure Free Trial or Azure for Students despite being eligible

Mose 0 Reputation points
2026-10-04T07:26:16.9666667+00:00

Hello,

I am a university student and I am currently trying to create an Azure account for educational purposes. I only need Azure to complete cloud computing labs for my Cloud Computing course.

I am having problems with both Azure Free Trial and Azure for Students:

  1. Azure Free Trial

I tried registering two different Visa cards:

  • One card was created about two months ago.
  • The other card was created a long time ago and is still valid, with an expiration date in 2027.

Neither of these Visa cards has ever been used to access Azure services or claim an Azure Free Trial before. However, when I try to register for the Azure Free Trial, I receive a message saying that I am not eligible for the free offer and that I need to use a Pay-As-You-Go subscription instead.

  1. Azure for Students

I also tried to register for Azure for Students. The student verification process was completed successfully, but after verification, I was redirected to the normal Azure portal homepage. I did not receive the Azure for Students offer or any student subscription. My account still only gives me the option to use Pay-As-You-Go.

  1. Purpose of the account

I only need Azure for my university cloud computing lab assignments. I do not intend to use Azure for commercial purposes or workloads that require a paid subscription. Using Pay-As-You-Go is not suitable for me because I am concerned about unexpected charges while completing simple lab exercises.

Could you please check why my account is not eligible for Azure Free Trial or Azure for Students, and help me access the appropriate free/student offer if I am eligible?

Thank you for your help.User's image

Azure Cloud Services
Azure Cloud Services

An Azure platform as a service offer that is used to deploy web and cloud applications.

0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. AI answer

    2026-10-04T07:26:42.3033333+00:00

    Azure Free Trial and Azure for Students are separate offers, and the behavior described matches two different checks.

    For Azure Free Trial:

    • Free trial activation is limited to a user that is new to Azure.
    • If any Azure subscription already exists or existed under the same identity or matching account information, the free trial can be blocked.
    • For the error "You are not eligible for an Azure subscription", the documented checks are:
      1. Verify the Azure account profile information is correct, including contact email address, street address, and telephone number.
      2. Verify the credit card information is correct.
      3. Verify there is no other Microsoft account using the same information.
    • If sign-up continues to fail, try a different browser. If the sign-up flow hangs during identity verification by card, allow third-party cookies, refresh the page, then restart the browser and try again.
    • Virtual or prepaid cards aren't accepted for Azure subscriptions.

    For Azure for Students:

    • Azure for Students is available only to eligible students at accredited degree-granting institutions, with academic status verified through the institution email address.
    • The offer is limited to one Azure for Students subscription per eligible customer and can't be combined with another offer unless otherwise permitted.
    • If academic verification succeeds but no student subscription is granted, a previous Azure for Students eligibility or redemption record associated with another Microsoft identity can prevent the current account from being recognized.
    • That type of eligibility review requires Azure for Education Support.

    Recommended path:

    1. Recheck the Azure account profile details used during sign-up: name, address, phone number, and payment details must exactly match the card and account records.
    2. Confirm the card is a standard supported card and not virtual or prepaid.
    3. Retry sign-up in another browser or an InPrivate/incognito session.
    4. If the issue is specifically Azure for Students, sign in with the institutional Microsoft account that completed academic verification.
    5. If Azure for Students still redirects to the normal portal with only Pay-As-You-Go available, contact Azure for Education Support and request an eligibility review to check whether a previous Azure for Students record is tied to another Microsoft identity.

    For lab work with no risk of charges:

    • Azure for Students Starter may be a suitable alternative if full Azure for Students is not available. It requires verified student status, does not require a credit card, has no time limit, and includes a limited free tier of services such as Azure App Service, Azure Functions, Azure Notification Hubs, Azure Database for MySQL, Application Insights, and Azure DevOps Services.
    • It can later be upgraded to pay-as-you-go if broader Azure services are needed.

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.