Azure for Students verification fails — Chandigarh University school lookup clears and submission shows "We encountered an unexpected error"

ANIMESH TRIPATHI 0 Reputation points
2026-10-02T12:39:49.79+00:00

Hello Microsoft Support / Microsoft Q&A team,

I have now investigated this issue further and have been unable to submit an Azure support request through the available Microsoft support channels.

My situation is:

  • I am an active university student at Chandigarh University, India.

My GitHub Student Developer Pack is active.

I am trying to activate Azure for Students.

During the Azure for Students signup flow, Chandigarh University appears in the university search, but the university name disappears when I select/submit it.

Continuing the signup results in: “We encountered an unexpected error. Try again later.”

I have reproduced the issue after waiting several hours, using a fresh/incognito session and a separate browser session.

I also checked the account through Azure CLI:

az login --allow-no-subscriptions successfully authenticates my account and recognizes the Chandigarh University Microsoft Entra tenant.

However, az account show shows only a tenant-level account and no Azure subscription is provisioned.

I then tried the official support routes:

The Azure for Students support link redirects to Bing.

The India Microsoft support form redirects to Engage Center.

Engage Center displays: “You don't have permissions to any workspaces in Engage Center.”

I also attempted to create a no-subscription support request through Azure CLI using the current Subscription Management classification: Purchase, sign up or upgrade issues → Unable to sign-up for subscription

The API accepted the request parameters but returned: InvalidIssueType — Not authorized for creating a support ticket for the given issue type.

Checking the no-subscription ticket list confirms that no ticket was created.

I found recent Microsoft Q&A guidance stating that Azure Support should be able to review Azure for Students verification/subscription issues using the Subscription management → Unable to sign-up for subscription classification.

I also found guidance indicating that, after the recommended-solution step in the support wizard, selecting “Return to support request” should allow the actual support request to be submitted. However, because I do not have an Azure subscription, my account is instead being redirected to Engage Center, where I have no workspace access.

Could a Microsoft External Staff moderator please advise how a student who does not yet have an Azure subscription can submit the required “Unable to sign-up for subscription” support request?

If necessary, I can provide:

Student ID

Chandigarh University enrollment information

Academic email

Microsoft account details

Screenshots of the signup error

Azure CLI output showing the Chandigarh University tenant and absence of a subscription

I am specifically requesting assistance with the Azure for Students signup/provisioning process, not a paid Azure subscription.

Thank you.Hello Microsoft Support / Microsoft Q&A team,

I have now investigated this issue further and have been unable to submit an Azure support request through the available Microsoft support channels.

My situation is:

I am an active university student at Chandigarh University, India.

My GitHub Student Developer Pack is active.

I am trying to activate Azure for Students.

During the Azure for Students signup flow, Chandigarh University appears in the university search, but the university name disappears when I select/submit it.

Continuing the signup results in: “We encountered an unexpected error. Try again later.”

I have reproduced the issue after waiting several hours, using a fresh/incognito session and a separate browser session.

I also checked the account through Azure CLI:

az login --allow-no-subscriptions successfully authenticates my account and recognizes the Chandigarh University Microsoft Entra tenant.

However, az account show shows only a tenant-level account and no Azure subscription is provisioned.

I then tried the official support routes:

The Azure for Students support link redirects to Bing.

The India Microsoft support form redirects to Engage Center.

Engage Center displays:
“You don't have permissions to any workspaces in Engage Center.”

I also attempted to create a no-subscription support request through Azure CLI using the current Subscription Management classification:
Purchase, sign up or upgrade issues → Unable to sign-up for subscription

The API accepted the request parameters but returned:
InvalidIssueType — Not authorized for creating a support ticket for the given issue type.

Checking the no-subscription ticket list confirms that no ticket was created.

I found recent Microsoft Q&A guidance stating that Azure Support should be able to review Azure for Students verification/subscription issues using the Subscription management → Unable to sign-up for subscription classification.

I also found guidance indicating that, after the recommended-solution step in the support wizard, selecting “Return to support request” should allow the actual support request to be submitted. However, because I do not have an Azure subscription, my account is instead being redirected to Engage Center, where I have no workspace access.

Could a Microsoft External Staff moderator please advise how a student who does not yet have an Azure subscription can submit the required “Unable to sign-up for subscription” support request?

If necessary, I can provide:

Student ID

Chandigarh University enrollment information

Academic email

Microsoft account details

Screenshots of the signup error

Azure CLI output showing the Chandigarh University tenant and absence of a subscription

I am specifically requesting assistance with the Azure for Students signup/provisioning process, not a paid Azure subscription.

Thank you.

Azure Advisor
Azure Advisor

An Azure personalized recommendation engine that helps users follow best practices to optimize Azure deployments.

0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.