Hacked Teams Account

Odwa Makhwabe 0 Reputation points
2026-10-01T08:04:39.2966667+00:00

I am trying to log into my teams account and I get a message that says I do not have permission to access that org. Someone has hacked my account and I cant regain access. I have an UU user that I do not know of and I suspect they are the ones taking over my teams

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams Free | Other
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Yeddula Epafra 15 Reputation points
    2026-10-01T08:10:08.19+00:00

    Hi @Odwa Makhwabe

    Sorry you're dealing with this. I can't see your account from here, so I can't confirm whether it was actually hacked, but here is what I'd do.

    1. Check your Microsoft account itself Try signing in with the same email at https://account.microsoft.com. If you can't, use Microsoft's recovery guide: https://support.microsoft.com/accounts-billing/manage/how-to-recover-a-hacked-or-compromised-microsoft-account

    2. If you can sign in

    • Change your password.
    • Turn on two-step verification.
    • Review recent sign-in activity and remove devices or connected accounts you don't recognize.

    3. About the "no permission to access that org" message This often means Teams is trying to sign you in with an account linked to an organization (work or school) rather than your personal one. Sign out of Teams, then sign back in using your personal Microsoft account. Microsoft's guide for restoring Teams access for personal use is here: https://support.microsoft.com/teams/personal/troubleshoot/restore-your-access-to-microsoft-teams-personal

    4. About the unknown user In Teams, a person can appear as "Unknown User" when their account was deleted or disabled, so it doesn't necessarily mean someone hacked you. Could you tell me where you see it (a chat, a team, or your contacts)?

    To help further, please let me know:

    • Is your email a personal one (Outlook, Hotmail, Gmail) or from work or school?
    • Can you sign in at account.microsoft.com?

    Please don't post passwords or personal details here.

    If this helps, please click Accept Answer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. AI answer

    2026-10-01T08:04:53.33+00:00

    For a compromised Teams personal account, use the Microsoft account recovery process for a hacked account.

    1. Start the hacked-account recovery flow and follow the guided steps. It asks for the email address or phone number and then either provides self-help steps or offers the chance to talk to an agent.
    2. Before changing the password, run a full malware scan on the PC. In Windows Security, open Virus and threat protection → Scan options → Full scan → Scan now.
    3. After the scan, change the password if sign-in is still possible. If sign-in is no longer possible, use the password reset path.
    4. After access is restored, review account settings such as connected accounts, forwarding, and automatic replies, because those settings may have been changed.
    5. If Teams shows a sign-in banner, select Sign in and complete any prompts such as MFA. If the sign-in window does not appear, check the taskbar notification area for the Teams icon with a badge, or quit and reopen Teams.

    For Teams access specifically, if the message says there is no permission to access the organization, that can indicate a problem with the organization domain or Office 365 account. In that case, the organization’s IT admin or sysadmin must help with next steps.

    If the unknown user is appearing in Teams, Teams documents that deleted accounts and disabled-then-reenabled accounts can appear as Unknown User. For re-enabled accounts, signing out and back in can help the display name update within 72 hours.


    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.