Teams Charges

kate burke 0 Reputation points
2026-09-25T02:40:30.6733333+00:00

I purchased Microsoft 365 Family licence in April 2024. Payment was deducted automatically April 2025 and 2026. When I view my subscriptions it is only Microsoft 365 that comes up.

I got an email on 23rd August 26 to say my subscription to Microsoft Teams Essential would renew and payment be deducted on Sept 23rd. I spent a couple of hours trying to communicate with microsoft about this. I did not sign up for this subscription as far as I know because Teams comes free as part of my 365 subscription for family/personal use and that is all I need. I got nowhere on botchats, Frequent Q&A, called a number I found, left a message for a call back, never got one. On the 23rd Sept I got an email saying payment had been taken.

I could not cancel the subscription as it does not show up in my accounts. Is this a scam? Have you taken my money and how do I get it back?

+

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams Free | Other
0 comments No comments

3 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. EmilyS_726 30,360 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2026-09-25T03:16:34.0566667+00:00

    Teams Essential is the standalone Teams license on the commercia license side. So you will not find it via your personal account, because Microsoft's consumer and commercial products are from two separate ecosystems.

    If you indeed signed up for it, you would have to manage it via https://admin.microsoft.com > Your products

    Your log in credentials would have been:

    username @ business.onmicrosoft.com where username and business are defined by you. Does that ring a bell?

    Can you check your credit card statement and bank account statement, or recent activities, do you see this charge? It should be about USD 4/month or $48/year.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. kate burke 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-25T02:42:59.6666667+00:00

    The AI genertaed answer does not help me as I have tried all the various routes suggesyed and got nowhere.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  3. AI answer

    2026-09-25T02:40:47.4933333+00:00

    This could be either an unrecognized Microsoft charge or a phishing email. The supported way to check is:

    1. Go to the Manage your payments page and select Investigate if the charge is not recognized.
    2. Check Services & subscriptions using the same Microsoft account used for the Microsoft 365 Family purchase.
      • If a subscription shows Manage, Cancel, or Change payment, it is billed by Microsoft.
      • If the subscription does not appear there, it may be tied to a different Microsoft account or managed by a third party.
    3. If the charge is not listed under the Microsoft account being used, check any other Microsoft accounts that may have been used.
    4. If the subscription was bought through a third party such as Apple App Store or Google Play, billing, cancellation, and refunds must be handled with that provider directly. Microsoft cannot cancel, refund, or modify third-party billed subscriptions.
    5. If the email itself looks suspicious and the subscription does not appear in the account, treat it as potentially fraudulent. One Microsoft Q&A example identifies a similar unexpected Teams subscription email as phishing and advises not to click links or respond.
    6. For direct help from Microsoft support, use Contact Microsoft Support.

    Relevant facts for this case:

    • Microsoft 365 Family or Personal is managed from the Microsoft account subscriptions page when bought from Microsoft.
    • If a charge continues after cancellation, one documented cause is cancelling too close to the billing date; cancellations must be more than 2 days before the billing date.
    • If the charge is truly unrecognized, the documented path is to investigate it from the Microsoft account billing tools rather than relying on email or phone numbers found in messages.

    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.