I keep receiving "X is trying to reach you" in Teams even though they're not

Craig 0 Reputation points
2026-09-22T14:56:28.18+00:00

I am regularly receiving emails claiming someone is trying to reach me even though they're not. There is no activity reported anywhere other than these emails and the people involved are not actually trying to reach me. How do I get Teams to only send emails for activity that is not imagined?

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Other
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. BabybooHN 3,290 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-22T15:04:08.85+00:00

    Dear @Craig

    I understand the issue: you are receiving “X is trying to reach you in Microsoft Teams” emails, but the person has confirmed they did not contact you and there is no corresponding activity in Teams.

    These emails are related to Teams missed activity email notifications. They do not necessarily mean that the person is currently trying to contact you. In some cases, Teams can generate the notification from previously detected activity, or there can be a delay/synchronization issue between the notification and the current chat state. Similar behavior has been reported by other Teams users. Please refer to this thread.

    I recommend following the steps outlined in the AI's comment above first, as they address the same points I would have suggested.

    1. Open Microsoft Teams.
    2. Select Settings and more (…) > Settings.
    3. Go to Notifications and activity.
    4. Find Missed activity email (or Missed pactivity emails).
    5. Set it to Off.

    User's image

    This prevents Teams from sending these missed-activity email reminders while leaving your normal Teams chat notifications available.

    If you want to keep the emails enabled, please first note the exact time, sender, and subject of one of the unexpected emails, then check whether there is any corresponding chat, call, mention, or other activity around that time. If there is consistently no corresponding activity, I would recommend reporting it through Teams > Settings and more (…) > Help > Give feedback, as this may require investigation of the notification service rather than a local Teams setting.

    If you can share one example of the email (with personal information removed), including its subject, timestamp, and the type of account involved (work/school or personal), I can help narrow down what triggered it.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.