Azure for Students verification blocked: School Name dropdown shows no results

Airuoruo 5 Reputation points
2026-09-18T07:52:42.27+00:00

Hello,

I am trying to register for Azure for Students for the first time.

On the academic verification page, the “School Name” field does not display any dropdown suggestions. If I manually enter a school name, the value is automatically cleared when I move to another field.

I have already tried:

  • normal and private/incognito browser modes
  • different language settings
  • different country/region selections

The result is always the same: no school list appears, so I cannot select an institution and therefore cannot complete academic verification.

Because the verification cannot be completed, I do not yet have an Azure subscription and therefore cannot create a normal Azure support request.

I also tried the Azure for Education support route, but it redirected me to Engage Center, where I was told that I do not have access to any workspace.

I contacted Azure chat support as well, but I was advised that a support request would need to be submitted by an administrator.

This appears to be an issue with the School Name lookup on the Azure for Students academic verification page.

Could a Microsoft moderator please advise how this issue can be escalated to the appropriate Azure for Students / academic verification team?

Thank you.

Azure Cloud Services
Azure Cloud Services

An Azure platform as a service offer that is used to deploy web and cloud applications.

0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Taz 10,126 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2026-09-29T07:03:48.72+00:00

    Hi Airuoruo,

    The behavior you describe is caused by the School Name lookup not returning an institution, not by your browser. The Azure for Students verification form only accepts a school selected from its institution list, so manually typing a name and moving to another field will clear it. The same issue has been reported when Microsoft's GetSchoolsByCountry lookup returns no schools.

    First check whether your institution appears when the correct country/region is selected. If it still does not appear, your institution is not currently available in the Azure academic verification database.

    You have two practical options:

    Use the GitHub Student Developer Pack → Microsoft Azure benefit if your GitHub Education verification is already approved. This bypasses the broken school lookup in the Azure signup flow.

    If your institution is not available through GitHub either, the institution needs to be recognized in Microsoft's academic database. Azure for Students requires verification through an institution-issued academic identity/email.

    Do not enter a manually typed school name that is not offered by the dropdown, because the form will not retain it.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.