A group of Microsoft Products and technologies used for sharing and managing content, knowledge, and applications.
Mistakenly posted here - where is the delete post button, Microsoft?
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I have two Share Point sites which I need to lock down access to. I have files on both sites that are for information and collaboration. Which set up should I opt for and why? Teams or Communication?
A group of Microsoft Products and technologies used for sharing and managing content, knowledge, and applications.
Mistakenly posted here - where is the delete post button, Microsoft?
Dear @Maria,
After researching and reviewing Microsoft’s recommended SharePoint site design and governance best practices, thank you for your question. This is a very common and important decision when setting up SharePoint sites, especially when access control is a key requirement.
Although both are SharePoint sites, they are designed for different purposes:
Microsoft explains this distinction clearly here: Team Site vs. Communication Site: Which one should I choose?
Because your primary requirement is to lock down access, a Communication site is the better default choice. It allows you to Keep editing rights limited to a small group, Grant read‑only access to a wider audience, Maintain stable permissions that don’t change based on Teams membership
This makes it much easier to govern access to information and reference documents while still allowing controlled collaboration by site owners.
A Teams site should only be used if the files are part of ongoing, day‑to‑day collaboration where multiple users need to actively edit content and where dynamic membership is expected.
Many organizations use both site types together:
This separation helps avoid permission sprawl and keeps access management simple and predictable.
For more detailed guidance, you may find these resources helpful: Overview of SharePoint governance
I hope this helps you make a clear decision. If you run into any issues while trying the steps, or if something still doesn’t feel quite right, please don’t hesitate to reach out again. I’ll do my best to support you however I can.
Looking forward to hearing back from you with any updates or additional details.
Warm regards,
If the answer is helpful, please click "Accept Answer" and kindly upvote it. If you have extra questions about this answer, please click "Comment".
Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.
AI answer
Use a team site when the primary need is collaboration (many people creating/editing files together) and access is limited to a defined group. Use a communication site when the primary need is to broadcast information (few authors, many readers) to a broader audience.
From the description:
Guidance:
Since both “information” and “collaboration” are required and you want locked-down access, a Team site is generally the better default, because:
If one of the sites is primarily for publishing read-only information to a broader audience (with only a few editors), that specific site would be better as a Communication site, while the more collaborative one should be a Team site.
References: