Visio 24 Activation issue

William Henderson 0 Reputation points
2026-10-10T12:41:39.2866667+00:00

Hi, I have had to build a new PC after my older one died. I have managed to reinstall and activate Office 24, but I cannot activate Visio 24 which I purchased separately.

Windows keeps telling me that it is registered to a different account. When I go to my other account (I have somehow managed to get 2 over the years) it informs me that it has already been registered and wont activate. It also wont allow me to go to the activation page to get it registered.

I really need to get it up and running and will accept if it has to be on my alternate account, but ideally I would like to transfer it to the same account as the rest of my office products in case I have to go through the same process again..

Any help much appreciated.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Visio | For home | Windows
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Liora 2,330 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-10T13:17:53.4166667+00:00

    Dear @William Henderson,

    I hope you’re having a good day 

    Based on your description, it sounds like the main issue is that Visio 2024 is associated with a different Microsoft account than the one you're currently using for Office 2024.

    My first recommendation would be to sign in to each of your Microsoft accounts and check the Services & Subscriptions page: https://account.microsoft.com/services

    You're looking for the account where Visio 2024 appears in the list of purchased products. Once you've identified the account that owns the Visio license, try signing into Visio with that account on the new PC and see whether activation completes successfully.

    I would also recommend searching both accounts for:

    • Purchase confirmation emails
    • Product key redemption emails
    • Microsoft Store receipts

    These often help identify which account was originally used to redeem and activate Visio.

    Regarding your goal of moving Visio to the same account as your other Office products, that is typically more complicated. Once a retail product has been redeemed and linked to a Microsoft account, customers generally cannot transfer the license between accounts themselves. If you would like to explore whether any options are available in your specific situation, I would recommend contacting Microsoft Support.

    Before doing that, however, the most important step is to determine exactly which account currently owns the Visio license. Once that is confirmed, you'll have the best chance of getting Visio activated on the new PC again.

    I hope this helps point you in the right direction.

    Warm regards,  


    If the answer is helpful, please select "Yes, accept answer". If you have any questions or new updates, please feel free to comment below. 

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.