Cannot sign in because windows is insisting on setting up a PIN but 30 day wait to reset security info.

StuH 5 Reputation points
2026-10-07T17:22:41.8966667+00:00

Situation:-

Updated my sons PC to new hardware and moved the boot drive across.

Started ok but on logging in it stated "must reset up pin".

Went to do this but recovery email address was incorrect (old address we no longer have access to).

Requested it be changed - then got the 30 day wait message.

Ok, so I then went to log in with the userID and the correct password (verified), and then simply got the pop up window saying "security details are being updated" (Wait 30 days etc).

Then, no option to proceed into windows to the desktop as this was blocking me from logging in.

So, correct UserID, Correct password but because windows is insisting I reset up the PIN (which I don't want to use and surely don't need to if the password is correct plus is giving me the option to log in with it?) I cant log in FOR 30 DAYS because of this.

I mean,. how stupid is this? I put in all the relevant credentials but because of an OPTIONAL feature I now cant finish setting up the computer for A WHOLE MONTH!.

If i login on my own pc and put in the relevant account details on something like teams or the MS support website, it pops up the message about the 30 days, but (VERY IMPORTANTLY) it gives me a blue NEXT button and I can then log into the service.

Why is windows preventing me from logging in using all the correct credentials over a function I don't need to have?

My son uses his PC for games etc but MOST IMPORTANTLY for school work and its only by sheer luck I had the old machine to go back to.

Can someone explain how to get past this?

You can't speak to anyone on the phone to address this and every time i call back it simply parrots the last answer it gave me and hangs up. Does Microsoft understand how infuriating the situation is?

Any online account recovery doesn't seem to give me any code I can use to bypass this issue or state that anything is wrong with the account. I have tried account recovery and password resets (which is why I know the credentials are correct) but windows login is being needlessly difficult and blocking access to a machine I should just be able to log into.

And Microsoft "Support" is laughable as an option....

Seriously, I understand the policy is there if you change the security and recovery details and need people to be notified of any untoward activity, i grant you that. But, windows is insisting I use a code and setup a PIN (which It cant send to me due to the defunct email) and even though I am given the option to login with a password it blocks this because of the lack of PIN and 30 day wait?

Whats the point in having the correct credentials and giving me the option to use them if windows is simply going to deny access to the PC because of a secondary non-essential security function?

I have the User ID, I have the password, why cant I just log in?????????????????????

If I want to reset up the PIN and security recovery information fine, I'll do that after you've let me into my/his machine.

Stu.

S.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows Hello, lock screen and sign-in
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. EmilyS726 271.4K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-07T18:00:45.6366667+00:00

    Hello

    This 30-day delay is intentional. It’s a security safeguard designed to protect users in case someone else tries to hijack their account by changing recovery info. The wait gives the rightful owner time to notice and stop unauthorized changes.

    Unfortunately, this policy cannot be bypassed. Microsoft explains it further here. You will not get to a human support option when you use Get Help app or https://support.microsoft.com/contactus, because Microsoft intentionally removed certain help topic from chat option because support team is not given tools or access to bypass this.

    https://support.microsoft.com/account-billing/-your-security-info-change-is-still-pending-or-you-can-t-access-this-site-right-now-microsoft-account-message-cbd0f64f-02d9-45d2-90c3-2375e5a72e52#:~:text=While%20we%20understand%20this%2030,phone%20number%20or%20email%20address.

    The "real issue" here is NOT the PIN requirement. It might appear that way, but it is because the trust relationship between the hardware and the account is broken due to the hardware change, so even if the PIN set up is not there, after you enter the correct ID and password, it will still want to send the code to do the 2FA verification, and the code will be sent to the old contact during the 30-day wait. You could bypass this 30-day wait if you are logging in on a trusted device, but not on your son's with hardware change.

    If your son must use the computer now, a reset/clean install would be the only option and set up with a local user or a different Msft account for now. Wait 30 days and link the old account back. However, doing so, it does remove data, unless it was already backed up via Onedrive.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.