VPN Gateway: Need Gen1 to Gen2 migration — Upgrading to VpnGw4AZ

Stian 0 Reputation points
2026-10-06T07:19:29.2466667+00:00

Problem description

I am seeking guidance on migrating my existing Azure VPN Gateway from a Generation 1 (Gen1) to a Generation 2 (Gen2) to facilitate an upgrade to VpnGw4AZ. The current gateway reports as Gen1, and I want to understand the supported methods and timeline for this migration.

Environment

Azure VPN Gateway in West Europe region with current SKU VpnGw2AZ, Generation 1, attached to a Standard SKU public IP address.

What I've already tried

I have reviewed the public VPN Gateway SKU migration guidance and considered the automatic platform upgrade to Generation 2, which is expected around March 2027. However, I have not performed any migration steps, validation tests, or attempted to delete and recreate the gateway as VpnGw4AZ.

Current status

I am seeking confirmation on whether the automatic upgrade applies to my gateway, the possibility of an earlier migration, and the supported methods to upgrade or recreate my gateway to VpnGw4AZ without significant downtime, as I need increased tunnel capacity within a few weeks.

Azure VPN Gateway
Azure VPN Gateway

An Azure service that enables the connection of on-premises networks to Azure through site-to-site virtual private networks.

0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. SHOUMIK CHAKRAVARTY 1,150 Reputation points
    2026-10-06T10:48:08.84+00:00

    Hello @Stian - You shouldn't have to delete and recreate anything. The eligibility table in Upgrade a VPN Gateway SKU has a row for exactly your situation.

    VPNGw_Gen1_to_Gen2AZ_upgrade_eligibility.jpg Generation 1 SKU to Generation 2 AZ SKU reads "Yes (Migrate Only)" for upgrade eligibility, and "No" under delete/re-create only.

    So before anything else, open the Configuration page on your gateway and look at the SKU dropdown. The docs say "the options listed are based on the starting SKU and SKU generation", so if VpnGw4AZ is sitting there you can just upgrade in place.

    If it isn't, the docs give two different dates and one of them has already passed. The upgrade page says gateways already on a Standard IP get "seamlessly upgraded to Gen2 during regular service updates before September 2026". The consolidation page puts the same thing at "~end of Mar'27". You're on a Standard IP, so you're in that bucket either way, and by the first page your upgrade is overdue.

    Help make this community better for everyone: if this answer resolved your issue, please accept it or leave an upvote. If not, share more details in a comment so we can continue the discussion and find the right solution..

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.