Stop Windows 11 Updates

Dillon 25 Reputation points
2026-10-04T20:52:43.4833333+00:00

As everything I have tried to stop updates have not worked at all and I am getting VERY tired of fixing every computer every time there is an update. How do I permanently stop updates so I never have to deal with microsoft causing unnecessary problems.

I have turned it off in Services but it just turns its self back on and continues. I tried pausing it but after a while it forces me to do it and I cant stop it. I have tried a force way of shutting the computer off but again it still updates and causes issues. And today my computer just restarted without any input and performed the update, no warning, no way to stop just black screen and restart.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Marcin Policht 109.8K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2026-10-04T22:50:46.53+00:00

Note that the downside is considerably more problematic (primarily due to security implications) - but if you're looking for a way to implement it, follow https://www.elevenforum.com/t/disable-automatic-windows-updates-in-windows-11.22669/


If the above response helps answer your question, remember to "Accept Answer" so that others in the community facing similar issues can easily find the solution. Your contribution is highly appreciated.

hth

Marcin

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.

1 additional answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Bulldog 4,765 Reputation points
    2026-10-04T22:55:07.2766667+00:00

    Starting with Windows 10, updates are arguably the most important feature of Windows. It is Microsoft's goal for all Windows computers to be running the most up-to-date version of the software, which is why there is no supported method to permanently stop updates. (Use unsupported methods at your risk.)

    The solution for you is not to try to stop updates, but to figure out why your computer experiences problems with updates. Here, Microsoft is able to help. Updates can be paused, for months at a time, and you can use that time to figure out what's going wrong with your computer and how to fix it.

    To pause updates, go to Start > Settings > Windows update > Pause updates

    Pause updates in Windows from Microsoft offers an easy way to pause updates for up to 35 days. If you can access the Administrator account on your computer, you can pause updates for even longer by editing group policy. For example, I delay new versions of Windows - like the recently released version 26H2 - by 90 days.

    During this time you can research what causes your computer to fail from updates. Before releasing them to the general public, updates are tested by literally millions of Windows Insiders and industry partners, which is what gives Microsoft the confidence to issue updates to the public. The great majority of these computers have one thing in common: they are running a configuration supported by Microsoft. The further away a computer is from a supported configuration, the greater is the chance that it will choke under an update. So the best advice I can give to you is to think of all the changes you have made to your computer's settings, and switch them back so your computer will be running a supported configuration.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.