Outlook gives message smtp dropped

Jon W 0 Reputation points
2026-10-03T20:43:03.4233333+00:00

Outlook gives message smtp dropped when sending outgoing messages. How do I correct this?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home
0 comments No comments

4 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Jon W 0 Reputation points
    2026-10-05T16:55:29.5833333+00:00

    Thanks for your help. I do not know what test you are referring to. I do not use Yahoo, nor have I ever used their website so I don't know how Yahoo could be involved. I just checked my settings and data files. They all look correct with no mention of Yahoo. I can receive posts from this account without a problem but cannot send. I tried to reset the outgoing port 465 manually to other recommended ports (287?--can't remember) but Outlook always goes back to 465. I also checked "use same settings as incoming mail service." This is getting frustrating.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Jon W 0 Reputation points
    2026-10-05T16:43:03.1966667+00:00

    I do not use Yahoo nor have I ever. My IP is Comcast and the email address is [myname]@comcast.net.  Everything was OK until several months ago when Outlook would refuse to send my outgoing email generated by this address, giving me the SMTP error message.  All outgoing email from my 4 other email addresses in Outlook go out as they should. They are from [myname]@hotmail.com, though.

     

    In addition, I used to get that dreaded popup box that so many people were complaining about, that my address/password was invalid.  But that sees to have stopped.

     

    Any help appreciated.

    Jon

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  3. Jon W 0 Reputation points
    2026-10-05T02:51:53.6766667+00:00

    have I ever. My IP is Comcast and the email address is [myname]@comcast.net.  Everything was OK until several months ago when Outlook would refuse to send my outgoing email generated by this address, giving me the SMTP error message.  All outgoing email from my 4 other email addresses in Outlook go out as they should. They are from [myname]@hotmail.com, though.

     

    In addition, I used to get that dreaded popup box that so many people were complaining about, that my address/password was invalid.  But that sees to have stopped.

     

    Any help appreciated.

    Jon

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  4. Manoel Barros 22,055 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-04T01:06:58.8433333+00:00

    Hi!

    Please answer the questions below:

    Is your email personal, corporate, or educational?

    Is your email from your custom domain (@yourname.com, @companyname.com), Microsoft (@outlook.com or @hotmail.com), Google (@gmail.com), or a third-party domain?

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.