Outlook email autocomplete issue affecting both Outlook Web and the Android app

Enola H 0 Reputation points
2026-10-01T21:23:48.8966667+00:00

I’m having an Outlook email autocomplete issue affecting both Outlook Web and the Android app. When I select the autocomplete suggestion for my work email address, Outlook displays the work address but actually resolves the recipient to a different personal email address. As a result, the message is sent to the wrong inbox.

If I manually type the full work email address and do not select the autocomplete suggestion, the message is delivered correctly to the work mailbox. I have tested this multiple times on both Outlook Web and Outlook for Android.

I have already disabled Expanded People Suggestions on both my personal and work Microsoft accounts, waited more than 48 hours, deleted the relevant saved contact, converted the malformed suggested profile into a contact and then permanently deleted it from recoverable contacts, signed out and back in, restarted the phone, and tried the standard autocomplete removal steps. The incorrect suggestion still persists.

The malformed autocomplete entry appears in the format:

[email protected] <[email protected]>

In other words, the work address is being used as the display name while the underlying recipient is actually the personal address.

Has anyone encountered this before, or is there a way to remove/reset a corrupted server-side recipient/autocomplete entry that is not tied to a normal saved contact? Outlook support was unhelpful and directed me here.

Outlook | Web | Outlook on the web for business | Email
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Ruby Nguyen 2,965 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-01T22:37:31.7633333+00:00

    Good day Enola,    

    Just to gently clarify before going any further, this forum is separate from Microsoft Support. I can only share publicly available documentation, testing observations and general troubleshooting guidance. I don't have access to Microsoft's internal diagnostic tools, engineering investigations, or product development backlogs. 

    I truly appreciate the time and effort you’ve already invested in troubleshooting this issue on your own. You’ve completed all the appropriate end‑user troubleshooting steps, which is very helpful. Currently, I’ve reviewed the advisories and incidents listed in the Microsoft 365 admin center and didn't find any related notifications.  

    As the next best step, I strongly recommend contacting your IT administrator to submit a support ticket through the Microsoft 365 admin center > Support > Help & Support for further investigation. In case you do not know who is your IT admin, kindly refer to this article: How do I find my Microsoft 365 admin? - Microsoft Support  

    Turn off the "Support Assistant" feature.    

    Use the keyword "Support" to quickly bypass automated suggestions > Select Contact Support.  

    User's image

    In the ticket description, please clearly describe the issue, including any error messages and the steps you’ve already tried. They can also attach screenshots or screen recordings.  

    Additionally, sharing their preferred contact times may help the support team handle the case more efficiently.     

    A Microsoft technical support engineer can conduct a remote session to review the issue in detail, validate backend configurations and run any required synchronization or diagnostic tools. If necessary, the case can be escalated to a specialized team for more in‑depth analysis and resolution.  

    If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out at any time. Thank you for your patience and understanding.   


    If you have any extra questions about this answer, please click "Comment".   

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.