Office 2016 disappears on Monday 28 along with Outlook and now read only

Pirouz 0 Reputation points
2026-10-01T20:29:47.5266667+00:00

Hi, I purchased perpetual Office 2016 and Outlook in July 2016 along with my computer, all from HP. I had been using them eversince. I don't know if it was family or for business. I just know it was a bundle including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook and maybe some others.
Last Monday (Sept 28) it all disappeared while I tried to read my emails.

In the afternoon, .exe were working again, but only on read only mode, asking for the licence key.

I called HP (they sold me the Office suite). They told me they could not give me the licence key because the purchase was too old for their systems and advised be to get the key from my MS account.

I went to my MS account where there was no trace of any licence key although they had my computer caracteristics!

I read now that this may have been caused by KB5002907 update that ran by error on my computer.

Now I am stuck, my accounting, work and ten years archives are frozen.

Could you help me get back my key and my work please?

Best

PS: If it may help, I can provide the HP invoice with some specific information including the Pack ID number and Delivery certificate number

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | Other | Windows
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Xavier-D 13,755 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-10-02T04:47:11.6166667+00:00

    Hello Pirouz,

    Based on the timing and symptoms, your issue may be related to the recent KB5002907 update.

    This update affected some Office 2016 and Office 2019 installations, causing Office to appear unlicensed or, in some cases, to be removed.

    Please be aware that support for Office 2016 ended on October* 14, *2025. An existing installation may continue to function, but Microsoft no longer provides regular technical support, security updates, or bug fixes for this version. Continuing to use an unsupported version may therefore present security, reliability, and compatibility risks.

    Your documents and archives are likely still stored on the computer. The read-only behavior occurs because Office is no longer activated.

    Since the license does not appear in your Microsoft account and HP cannot retrieve the original product key, I recommend contacting Microsoft Support and providing the HP invoice, Pack ID, and Delivery Certificate number as proof of purchase. Support can review the licensing information and advise whether your Office 2016 entitlement can be restored.

    You can contact Microsoft Support here:

    Please note that this is a user-to-user support forum. Moderators and contributors, including external Microsoft employees, are not allowed to directly interfere with Microsoft product features or access back-end systems. Our role is limited solely to providing technical guidance on reported incidents, requests, or ideas.  

    1. Open a website link - Contact - Microsoft Support 
    2. In the box below "We're here to help", type Microsoft 365, click "Get Help", and then click "Contact Support" below. 
    3. In this section, you will need to sign in to your Microsoft account. 
    4. Select "Microsoft 365 and Office" under Products & Services, select "Technical Support" as the category, and click to confirm 
    5. You can select " Chat with a support agent in your web browser " to access the chat window. 

    I hope you can get the support you need, have a nice day.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.