Unable to delete section group in desktop app or web browser

Eszter Mihaly 0 Reputation points
2026-09-28T14:21:15.9066667+00:00

Hi,

I made a section group by mistake. When I right-click on the section group (in the desktop version on a mac), I am unable to delete it as the 'Delete' option is grayed out. When I try to right-click on the section group in the web browser version, no pop-up window even comes up. Could you please help me remove this unneeded section group?

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For business | MacOS
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Julie Huynh 3,770 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-28T15:23:08.47+00:00

    Dear @Eszter Mihaly,

    Good day! Welcome to Microsoft Q&A forum!

    Regarding this situation, I tested this on my end by creating a section group in OneNote and was able to delete it successfully, so it does not appear to be a general issue with the feature itself.

    I created 3 sections (Section 1, Section 2, Section 3), then created a new Section Group with Section 1 and Section 2 by moving them into the section group.

    Screenshot 2026-09-28 at 21.51.32

    Screenshot 2026-09-28 at 21.52.01

    I then right-clicked the new Section Group > Delete > Yes

    Screenshot 2026-09-28 at 21.52.22

    Screenshot 2026-09-28 at 21.52.35

    After that, the Section Group was deleted and moved to the Deleted NotesScreenshot 2026-09-28 at 21.52.44

    Screenshot 2026-09-28 at 21.53.21

    Therefore, to help narrow down the cause, could you please confirm:

    • Is the notebook stored in OneDrive for Business or SharePoint, or is it a personal notebook?
    • Are you the owner of the notebook, or was it shared with you by someone else?
    • Does the issue occur with only this section group, or with any new section group you create?

    In the meantime, could you try the following:

    • Create a new test section group in the same notebook and check whether Delete when right-clicking a Section Group is available
    • Make sure the notebook has finished syncing and then restart OneNote
    • If the section group contains sections, try moving those sections out of the section group first, then attempt to delete the now-empty section group

    If possible, a screenshot of the notebook structure and the grayed-out Delete option would also be very helpful.

    I appreciate your time and look forward to your update.

    Thank you for your time and patience.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.