Cannot sign into OneNote with my Organization Account and Cannot Update to Bugfixed Version on iPad 6th Gen iOS 17.7.11

Maddie 0 Reputation points
2026-09-23T03:16:11.65+00:00

I had previously been using OneNote on my iPad without issue approximately 3 months ago. My semester started again and the app had updated over the summer to version 16.101.3. This is apparently the latest version my iPad 6th Generation can receive, which had been working without issue previously. My problem is that I can no longer sign in to OneNote through my Organization Account, something which is necessary for me because I keep all my notes in my Organization Account for use on my laptop as well. When I try to sign in, it gets stuck on my organization's two-factor authentication screen.

I did some cursory searching and saw that other users were having this issue too. They said that they updated to version 16.112.2 and beyond and it fixed the issue. The issue I have is that I cannot update to this version because my iPad is too old to work with iOS 18. OneNote version 16.112.2 requires iOS 18 to download. My iPad 6th gen only supports up to iOS 17.7.11. This means my iPad is too old to get the bugfix to ensure that I can continue to use OneNote in any capacity, functionally bricking the entire app for me. A bugfix I need to have is being gatekept behind better hardware which I cannot afford as a student.

Is there any other way to sign into my Organization Account and to use the app? Are there workarounds available for those who are unable to update past 16.101.3? I've tried logging into Powerpoint as well but I have the same issue on that app. Please let me know.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For education | iOS
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Jade Ng 15,860 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-09-23T04:04:29.6233333+00:00

    Dear Maddie,

    Since you mentioned that the same organizational sign-in issue also occurs in PowerPoint, I would first like to determine whether the problem is specific to the Office apps or to the authentication process itself.

    Could you please try signing in to your organizational account through Safari and opening your notebook in OneNote for the web?

    If browser sign-in works, you can also try resetting the locally stored OneNote sign-in credentials:

    1. Make sure any important recent notes have already synchronized, as unsynchronized offline changes could be lost.
    2. Close OneNote.
    3. Open iPad Settings > OneNote > Reset OneNote.
    4. In the Reset OneNote options on the right, tap to enable the Delete All Notebooks option, and then also tap to enable the Delete Login Credentials option.
    5. Enable Delete Login Credentials.
    6. Restart OneNote and try signing in with your organizational account again.

    Delete All Notebooks as part of the full OneNote reset process. However, this removes the offline copies of notebooks from the device, so I recommend confirming that your notes are safely synchronized before using that option.

    Regarding OneNote 16.112.2, I could not find Microsoft documentation in the available support information that specifically confirms this version as the fix for the authentication behavior you described.

    If the issue appears to be related to authentication, could you please share a screenshot of what you see when attempting to sign in to OneNote?

    Thank you for your valuable time and cooperation. I am looking forward to your update!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.