I can't get MS Project to load onto my laptop

Ronald Dixon 0 Reputation points
2026-09-23T02:01:41.86+00:00

I have a Planner and Project Plan 3 subscription, When go to the Portal to download Project, I get, "The requested operation requires elevation." I am the Global Administrator. I shouldn't require any elevation. I have Planner Premium loaded but I can't get the desktop.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Project | For business | Windows
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Oldest
  1. BabybooHN 3,295 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-23T02:16:07.7633333+00:00

    Dear @Ronald Dixon

    Thank you for providing the details. Since you have a Planner and Project Plan 3 subscription, you should be able to install the Project desktop client if the license is correctly assigned. Microsoft 365 Global Administrator permissions, however, are separate from local administrator permissions on the Windows device.

    To narrow down where the issue occurs, could you please confirm the following?

    1. Where exactly do you see “The requested operation requires elevation”?
      • When selecting Install in the Microsoft 365 portal, or
      • After the Project installer has been downloaded and you try to run it?
    2. Can you install other applications on this laptop that require administrator permissions, or does the same elevation error occur?
    3. On the Microsoft 365 admin center, under Users > Active users > your account > Licenses and apps, is Planner and Project Plan 3 assigned to the account you are using to sign in?
    4. Is this a company-managed/Entra-joined laptop, or a personal Windows device?

    If possible, please also provide a screenshot of the exact error message and the screen immediately before it appears (with any personal information hidden).

    Once I know these details, I can determine whether the issue is related to the Project license/install option or to Windows/local administrator permissions.

    For reference, Microsoft’s installation guidance for Project Plan 3 is available here: Install Project – Microsoft Support

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.