How can I purchase the perpetual version of Publisher?

Rebecca Seidl 45 Reputation points
2026-09-13T00:57:15.89+00:00

I just learned that Publisher will be gone after Oct 1, 2026. I only have a 365 sub, and this is devastating! There is no way for me to convert 16 years worth of documents I have painstakingly created in that amount of time without working on this all day every day. I use this for work and I do have other things to do. I have been trying to learn how to purchase Publisher, but I keep getting a run around and it doesn't seem to actually be available. Does anyone know how I can buy it? This is such a stupid decision, I am so angry!!!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Publisher | Other
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Stefan Blom 353.8K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2026-09-16T18:58:46.5433333+00:00

You can run Publisher if you can get a one-time purchase (perpetual) license which includes Publisher. Office Professional 2021 would be an example of such a license, but note that Office Professional 2021 is no longer sold by Microsoft.

If you purchase from a third-party seller, be very careful so that you get a valid version.

Alternatively, you can try other page layout software. Affinity by Canva seems to have a good reputation, but I have only done limited testing, so I don't know much about it.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.

Answer accepted by question author
Marcin Policht 109.8K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2026-09-13T01:24:28.34+00:00

Microsoft no longer sells Publisher as a standalone product on its primary storefront, but you should be able to purchase the Microsoft Office Professional 2021 suite, which is a one-time purchase that includes Publisher alongside the core apps like Word and Excel. You can still find legitimate retail keys from authorized third-party sellers and established tech retailers like CDW or My Choice Software, where prices for the full suite often range between $200 and $400 depending on the specific licensing terms. Some specialized software vendors like Digital License and FastSoftwares still list individual keys for Publisher 2021 specifically, often at a lower price point around $50 to $100, though you should verify their current stock and activation guarantees before buying. Be careful with extremely low-priced "lifetime" deals on unfamiliar sites, as these are often volume licenses not intended for individual resale and may be deactivated by Microsoft later.


If the above response helps answer your question, remember to "Accept Answer" so that others in the community facing similar issues can easily find the solution. Your contribution is highly appreciated.

hth

Marcin

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.

0 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.