Copilot refresh removed all pre-migration chat history

Greg Pogue 0 Reputation points
2026-09-09T12:37:03.5266667+00:00

After the recent Copilot refresh, all of my Copilot conversations from before the migration disappeared.

Symptoms:

  • The banner states that "Past chats, Copilot Tasks, and Copilot Health are coming soon."
  • Clicking "Access chats and tasks" briefly loads the previous Copilot experience, which recognizes my account, but then automatically redirects to the new Copilot.
  • After the redirect, only chats created since the refresh are visible.
  • No pre-refresh chats are visible.
  • The issue occurs in the Windows app, web browser, and mobile experience.
  • I have verified that I am signed in with the correct Microsoft account.
  • The oldest visible conversation is from the day of the refresh.

Please investigate whether my historical chat data is still associated with my account and whether the migration/synchronization process failed.

Microsoft Copilot | Windows Copilot | App
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Haytham-C 5,630 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-09-09T20:39:49.3333333+00:00

    Hello, Anika Neureiter

    Thank you very much for your message. I completely understand how frustrating it is when the chat history – which contains important work content – is no longer accessible after an update; This is certainly very worrying. Since you've already taken some troubleshooting steps, could you please try the following next?

    1. Repair/Reset App:
    • Open Windows Settings (Windows + I) > Apps > Installed apps > Search for "Microsoft 365 Copilot" > Click on the three dots > Advanced options > Repair. If you still don't see your history, click Reset (If you're using a Windows device)
    1. Update License:

    I also noticed that other users also report this problem. However, as the moderator of this forum, I have neither access nor permission to the Copilot backend; therefore, I can't view, edit, or restore chat histories for other users. If the steps I mentioned don't help, I recommend that you contact Microsoft Support:

    • Go to Contact Us - Microsoft Support.
    • Select Copilot.
    • Click Home Support.
    • Enter a brief description of your problem in the search box.
    • Click Get Help and select Contact Support below.
    • Go to the Products and Services tab and select the appropriate product.
    • On the Category tab, select the appropriate category or an alternate option.
    • Go to "Confirm." Look for the "Chat with a support agent in the web browser" option (during business hours) and select it if available. Explain your situation in an understandable way.

    I hope this helps.


    If the answer is helpful, please click "Yes". If you have extra questions about this answer, please click "Comment".    

    Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.   

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.