Logging into my account in Lebanon

Khazaal, Wesam 0 Reputation points
2026-05-29T17:21:34.96+00:00

I am a student taking online classes at an upper level educational institution that uses Canvas as their platform.

Previously, while taking online classes I traveled to the country of Lebanon. I had issues such as not being able to login to my canvas account due to my physical presence in Lebanon.

Recently I got in touch with Canvas support, and My IT Help Desk inquiring about whether or not I will face such an issue if I I go to Lebanon again while taking summer classes.

To which they both said it should not be an issue and I should be able to login to my account with no issue.

Since my institution uses the Microsoft Authenticator service, I was told that for a precautionary measure, I should reach out to Microsoft and ask firsthand if the Microsoft Authenticator service does work in Lebanon or not.

Thank you for your time and help.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For business | Windows
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Sophie N 18,175 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-06-01T01:07:33.8766667+00:00

    Dear @Khazaal, Wesam,

    Thank you for reaching out with your question.

    I understand your concern about accessing your Canvas account to Lebanon, especially since your institution uses Microsoft Authenticator for sign-in.

    From Microsoft’s side, Microsoft Authenticator is a globally supported service and is not restricted in Lebanon. In general, you should be able to use the Microsoft Authenticator app to approve sign-in requests or generate verification codes regardless of your location, as long as: your mobile device has internet access (Wi-Fi or mobile data), or you are using the app’s offline verification code feature

    However, please note that access issues are usually not caused by Microsoft Authenticator itself, but rather by your organization’s security policies. Many educational institutions configure Conditional Access policies (such as blocking sign-ins from certain regions or flagging them as risky), which could explain the difficulty you experienced previously.

    What I recommend:

    • Please confirm with your school's IT department that there will be no location-based access restrictions in place during your stay in Lebanon.
    • Ensure your Microsoft Authenticator app is fully installed and functioning correctly before arriving.
    • If desired, you can ask your school's IT team if they can provide any alternative authentication methods (such as SMS or a temporary access code).

    If your institution has confirmed there are no restrictions, you should be able to sign in without issues.

    Please let me know if you need help testing your Authenticator setup before your trip. I’m happy to assist further.


    If the answer is helpful, please click "Accept Answer" and kindly upvote it. If you have extra questions about this answer, please click "Comment".   

    Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

  2. AI answer

    2026-05-29T17:21:50.2933333+00:00

    Microsoft Authenticator and Microsoft account sign-in are supported for customers in Lebanon.

    Relevant points from the provided information:

    1. Class Notebook and Microsoft 365 services availability
      • Class Notebook (a Microsoft 365 education service) is explicitly listed as enabled in Lebanon. This indicates that Microsoft 365 education services, including identity and sign-in infrastructure, are available for tenants in Lebanon.
      • When Class Notebook is not visible, the guidance is to work with the Microsoft 365 admin and SharePoint admin center settings, which presumes normal access from supported countries such as Lebanon.
    2. Lebanon Microsoft Store closure note
      • The Lebanon Microsoft Store for consumers has closed, but the documentation states that Microsoft products remain available through partners in the region and that customer support is still available through Microsoft Support. This supports that Microsoft cloud services and account infrastructure continue to function for users in Lebanon.
    3. Microsoft Authenticator and sign-in support
      • The Outlook.com travel guidance points users to learn more about the Microsoft Authenticator app and to general guidance on protecting a Microsoft account. There is no exclusion or restriction called out for Lebanon.
      • General Microsoft account sign-in troubleshooting (including verification codes and multifactor authentication) is documented without regional exclusions, and Lebanon is not listed as an unsupported region.

    Based on this information, Microsoft services that rely on Microsoft accounts and Microsoft 365 identity—including Microsoft Authenticator-based sign-in—are supported and expected to work in Lebanon. If sign-in issues occur while in Lebanon, they should be treated as standard account or network troubleshooting cases (for example, verification code issues, password problems, or local connectivity), not as a blanket regional block.

    For additional assurance and support if any sign-in problems arise while traveling:


    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.