How do I completely get rid of copilot, and stop it reappearing?

Alex P 40 Reputation points
2025-11-21T08:40:26.0866667+00:00

I purposefully went through the process of declining the embedded copilot add on in the 365 subscription, thinking this would protect me from this obnoxious software, yet it keeps popping up everywhere.

It seems Microsoft wants to jam it down my throat regardless of my preferences. I have tried turning it off and uninstalling the app, but I know it is still snooping around in the background - for example, it is still in my browser.

I am almost at the point of blowing away Windows and converting everything to Linux as I find MS business practices unconscionable, I can't stand the ads and the requirement for me to login or have an online account for everything.

I have already converted one laptop to Linux, I am so close to getting rid of MS alltogether. Hoping this trend picks up and MS gets the message.

Microsoft Copilot | Windows Copilot | App

8 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. JD 15 Reputation points
    2026-03-19T00:09:15.05+00:00

    You are right, Linux is sounding better everyday.

    Was this answer helpful?

    50+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  2. Larry Hoffman 0 Reputation points
    2026-06-19T00:42:27.19+00:00

    Uninstall microsoft Completely, everything can go!!! Remove the backups, the recovery partition & install Linux Ubuntu or Mint along with Firefox & Brave followed up with Apache Open Office suite!!! All Free!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  3. Thomas4-N 22,395 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2025-11-22T08:47:49.6966667+00:00

    Hello Alex P, welcome to Microsoft Q&A forum.

    Thank you for sharing your experience. I understand how frustrating it feels when features you’ve opted out of keep showing up. 

    Copilot is now integrated into Windows and Microsoft Edge as part of the operating system design, so there isn’t a supported way to remove it completely. Even if you uninstall the app or hide the button, some components remain because they’re tied to system features and will return with updates.

    Here's some steps you can try to partially reduce its presence:

    • Uninstall the Copilot app: Go to Settings > Apps > Installed apps > Microsoft Copilot > Uninstall, or use PowerShell. This removes the app temporarily, but cumulative updates or the Microsoft Store can reinstall it.
    • Hide the Copilot button and sidebar: Use Taskbar settings or apply Group Policy/Registry changes to turn it off. Keep in mind that updates may re-enable these settings.
    • Disable Copilot in Microsoft Edge: Open Edge settings > Sidebar > Turn off Copilot. This is separate from the OS-level integration.

    However, in the whole picture, there’s no supported method to permanently block Copilot. It’s treated as a protected system component and will reinstall with cumulative updates and Store auto-updates.

    If you prefer an environment without these integrations, switching to Linux is a valid option.

    Warm regards,


    If the answer is helpful, please click "Accept Answer" and kindly upvote it. If you have extra questions about this answer, please click "Comment".  

    Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread. 

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.

  4. Carl Bahm 5 Reputation points
    2026-08-22T04:25:48.12+00:00

    Just built a new system and installed Linux Mint Cinnamon flavor LOL! Works great: faster startup times, faster browsing, faster program load times, and easy to migrate from Windows to Linux... These are the pros.

    The cons... only 1, but yet multiple within the string of cons: not all programs can run on Linux. My solution: I'm keeping this Windows PC I'm currently typing on disconnected from the internet to protect it from future upgrades and BS Microsoft apps. I will do what I need to do on this pc and email myself the files I need. FCK AI, the more you give into this BS technology, the more it will take from you. Society has become so lazy, not wanting to do the work themselves and relying on AI to do things for them... I'm not one of those types of people. The strongest will survive, and the weak will perish.

    I would suggest Linux for Steam gamers and those who use their PC to browse the web. Linux has free office suites that will work with Microsoft Office as well. I've only run into a few websites that couldn't load properly in Chrome, but had zero issues in Firefox. If the majority of the software you use daily is Windows-based, you are unfortunately stuck with Microsoft. You could always spend the extra money and buy an Apple product.

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  5. Alex P 40 Reputation points
    2026-10-08T05:30:30.5333333+00:00

    Cheers. I really didn't just want to hide copilot. The easiest solution was to get rid of Microsoft alltogether. I am now using Linux Ubuntu for everything on both computers. Don't regret the move at all. Totally feasible now a novice with support from a web-based LLM that is not an integrated part of my OS.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.