No Sound output in media player in windows 11

Graham Giles 0 Reputation points
2026-10-10T10:45:19.2366667+00:00

I am running Windows 11 Home on a HP all-in-one 64 bit Media player I cannot play mp3 or any other files Ran diagnostics without successRan HP diagnostics; all passed just media player problem

windows up to date

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Apps
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. David Seabrook 165 Reputation points
    2026-10-10T13:07:14.03+00:00

    Hi Graham,

    If sound works elsewhere on the HP and the problem is only with Media Player, I suggest first checking Media Player’s own audio settings in Windows -

    Open Settings > System > Sound > Volume mixer while Media Player is running. Under Apps, check that:

    • Media Player isn’t muted and its volume is turned up.
    • Media Player is using the correct Output device.

    Microsoft notes that individual apps can have their own volume level and can also use a different output device from the Windows default. [support.mi...rosoft.com]

    If Media Player is using the correct output device and still has no sound, I’d also check for an updated audio driver. In Device Manager > Sound, video and game controllers, right-click the audio device and select Update driver, then restart the PC. Microsoft lists this as one of the troubleshooting steps for cases where system audio works but an individual app has no sound. [support.mi...rosoft.com]

    I've attached some Microsoft step-by-step guides here for you:

    Fix app audio not working while system sounds work in Windows

    Troubleshoot Windows Media Player errors

    Since MP3 is supported by Windows Media Player out of the box, I’d start with the Volume mixer/output-device check before looking at codecs or drivers.

    Hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.