How to fix restriction access to my own files onedrive, excel, etc.

Mia 0 Reputation points
2026-10-09T04:17:23.3066667+00:00

I woke up this morning and all the files under my own onedrive that I made using that account is restricted. I cannot access it and it says that I don't have permission. It is my own files and I can't access it. Those files are important, my excel files that I use for work (although my account is personal). But I made some files to track on my own acc. What do I do? It seems like the owner of the files are already unknown. I tried everything to already to access it, via my phone, app, or browser or incognito. Please help.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Francisco Montilla 31,170 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-09T05:15:22.53+00:00

    Hello Mia,

    Let's try to figure this out before throwing fixes at it.

    Since you already checked on multiple devices and browsers including incognito, we know it is an issue with the account or the cloud server itself and not just a weird app glitch.

    Just to be completely sure about the situation, what is the exact error code or message you see when you try to open one of these excel files on the web? Also, if you create a brand new file in that same OneDrive folder right now, does it let you save and open it properly or does that get restricted right away too?

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.