SIP X-headers in Teams Direct Routing propagation

Arup Kar 20 Reputation points
2026-10-07T15:56:34.1866667+00:00

Hi there,

I have a quick question with respect to the recent announcement regarding retirement of services of Azure Communication Services. We are looking to build a solution that involves voice calls over PSTN being routed via Teams Direct Calling to a software application hosted on Azure that uses Teams Phone > Teams Phone Extensibility > ACS Call Automation. I wanted to know if SIP X-Headers/UUI received through Teams Direct Routing exposed in the ACS Call Automation IncomingCall event when using Teams Phone Extensibility?

Thanks

A

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Meetings and calls | Audio and video
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Kristen Tran 2,285 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2026-10-07T16:28:42.2866667+00:00

Hi Arup,

Thank you for reaching out and for sharing the details of your planned solution, in which PSTN calls are routed through Teams Direct Routing to your Azure-hosted application using Teams Phone Extensibility and ACS Call Automation.

ACS Call Automation does support SIP UUI and X-Headers; however, only headers that follow the supported naming format are passed into the IncomingCall event, which means headers sent with any other name will not appear in the payload.

To ensure the headers reach your application as expected, I recommend the following steps:

1/ Configure the header format on your SBC

2/ Retrieve the headers in your Call Automation application

3/ Validate the behavior with a test call

  • Place a test call from the PSTN to the Teams number assigned to your solution.
  • Compare the SIP INVITE leaving your SBC with the IncomingCall event received by your application.
  • If a header appears on the SBC but is missing from the event, please share the SBC trace, the call time with time zone, and the Call Automation correlation ID, so that I can investigate this further for you.

I hope this information suits your scenario and helps you move forward with confidence. Should you have any further questions, please feel free to let me know, and I will be glad to assist.

Warm regards,

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.

0 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.