Supported approach in SharePoint SE for setting NewFormUrl, EditFormUrl and DisplayFormUrl to custom server-relative pages

Ruud van Engelen 0 Reputation points
2026-10-07T12:57:49.9466667+00:00

I am looking for confirmation in a official support document or answer from Microsoft whether the following form customization pattern is supported in SharePoint Server Subscription Edition on-premises, and whether it is a future-proof architecture:

  • setting content type NewFormUrl, EditFormUrl and DisplayFormUrl to a custom modern page in the sitepages library
  • using a classic SiteAssets redirector page to forward to a SitePages form page
  • ensuring that users can use the modern SharePoint interface for the New and Edit experiences while still being routed to the custom form pages (example: clicking on the New button in the modern listview will navigate to the custom forms page)

Technically this works, but I need to know if this pattern is supported. If so, I need the official Microsoft documentation that confirms it and note any restrictions for lists, libraries or content types, for example the approach being future proof.

Microsoft 365 and Office | SharePoint Server | Development
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Hin Vo 1,280 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-07T14:00:04.4433333+00:00

    Hi @Ruud van Engelen

    From my research, Microsoft documents the NewFormUrl, EditFormUrl, and DisplayFormUrl properties as mechanisms for specifying custom form URLs. However, I could not find any documentation confirming that pointing these URLs to custom modern Site Pages, or using a Site Assets redirector page as an intermediary, is a supported architecture for the modern experience in SharePoint Server Subscription Edition.

    Additionally, configuring a custom NewFormUrl or EditFormUrl is listed as a feature that can cause lists and libraries to revert to the classic experience.

    User's image

    You can refer to: Differences between modern and classic experiences for lists and libraries | Microsoft Support

    Based on the available documentation, I cannot confirm this as a supported or future-proof approach for maintaining the modern New/Edit experience. If the solution works in your current environment, that appears to be observed behavior rather than a documented Microsoft commitment.

    For a definitive supportability statement, I would recommend opening a Microsoft Support ticket, as only Microsoft can officially confirm whether this scenario is supported and expected to remain supported in future releases. For Unified/Premier customers, you may create a ticket online or contact support by signing in to the Engage Center.

    Reference: Open a new Support request - Microsoft Engage Center | Microsoft Learn

    Please note that this is a paid support option and requires either an active support plan or a one-time support purchase. The advantage of this route is that your inquiry can be reviewed directly by the Microsoft team responsible for the product, who are best positioned to provide an authoritative answer regarding supportability and long-term product behavior.

    Additionally, since I only focus on Microsoft products, I may not have insight into how third-party solutions such as Nintex Forms integrate with this scenario. For guidance specific to Nintex, I would recommend contacting Nintex Support directly.

    If you have any additional concerns, feel free to comment below. I would be more than happy to assist. 

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Ruud van Engelen 0 Reputation points
    2026-10-07T13:21:07.9133333+00:00

    How do 3rd party products like Nintex Forms hook into the New and Edit modern experiences? via server side code? If so, is there any information about this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.