Identify Azure-managed azuresu localhost client backend sessions on Azure Database for PostgreSQL Flexible Server

Phathutshedzo Nemandalali 0 Reputation points
2026-10-06T09:46:34.66+00:00

I am using Azure Database for PostgreSQL Flexible Server and need to identify Azure-managed privileged sessions visible in pg_stat_activity.

The server is PostgreSQL 18.6. During read-only inspection, I observed sessions with:

  • role: azuresu
  • backend type: client backend
  • client address: 127.0.0.1
  • state: idle

I also observe clearly identifiable Azure background processes such as pg-availability, pgms_stats_background_worker, pg_qs_background_worker, pg_cron launcher, and logical replication launcher.

My question concerns specifically the azuresu localhost sessions reported as client backend, not those named background workers.

I need to determine whether these azuresu / 127.0.0.1 client-backend sessions are Azure platform-managed service connections and, if so, how they can be distinguished reliably from other privileged client sessions.

Could Microsoft/Azure PostgreSQL engineering please clarify:

  1. Which Azure component or service creates these azuresu localhost client backend sessions?
  2. What is their purpose?
  3. Is there a documented or independently verifiable property in PostgreSQL metadata that can reliably identify them as Azure-managed, rather than relying only on the azuresu role name or 127.0.0.1 address?
  4. Can these sessions execute concurrent database operations that could affect DDL, role/privilege changes, triggers, functions, or transactions while a customer application is performing a protected database binding/sealing or maintenance transition?
  5. Are these sessions expected to remain connected during normal operation, and should customer applications treat them differently from customer-created privileged administrator sessions?

I am requesting diagnostic/architectural clarification only. I do not want to terminate these sessions or change Azure service configuration or privileges.

Please do not request credentials, connection strings, or business data. I can provide sanitized pg_stat_activity metadata if needed.I am using Azure Database for PostgreSQL Flexible Server and need to identify Azure-managed privileged sessions visible in pg_stat_activity.

The server is PostgreSQL 18.6. During read-only inspection, I observed sessions with:

  • role: azuresu
  • backend type: client backend
  • client address: 127.0.0.1
  • state: idle

I also observe clearly identifiable Azure background processes such as pg-availability, pgms_stats_background_worker, pg_qs_background_worker, pg_cron launcher, and logical replication launcher.

My question concerns specifically the azuresu localhost sessions reported as client backend, not those named background workers.

I need to determine whether these azuresu / 127.0.0.1 client-backend sessions are Azure platform-managed service connections and, if so, how they can be distinguished reliably from other privileged client sessions.

Could Microsoft/Azure PostgreSQL engineering please clarify:

  1. Which Azure component or service creates these azuresu localhost client backend sessions?
  2. What is their purpose?
  3. Is there a documented or independently verifiable property in PostgreSQL metadata that can reliably identify them as Azure-managed, rather than relying only on the azuresu role name or 127.0.0.1 address?
  4. Can these sessions execute concurrent database operations that could affect DDL, role/privilege changes, triggers, functions, or transactions while a customer application is performing a protected database binding/sealing or maintenance transition?
  5. Are these sessions expected to remain connected during normal operation, and should customer applications treat them differently from customer-created privileged administrator sessions?

I am requesting diagnostic/architectural clarification only. I do not want to terminate these sessions or change Azure service configuration or privileges.

Please do not request credentials, connection strings, or business data. I can provide sanitized pg_stat_activity metadata if needed.

Azure Database for PostgreSQL
0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.