Office desktop applications were removed after Windows Update “Click-to-Run Update Support” on September 24, 2026.

Mumka 5 Reputation points
2026-09-27T00:47:51.5633333+00:00

Hello,
I am contacting you regarding a serious Office issue that occurred on my Windows 10 computer on September 24, 2026.

After the Windows Update component called “Click-to-Run Update Support” was installed, my Word, Excel and PowerPoint desktop applications disappeared from my computer. They had been installed and working normally before this update.

This is not simply a problem with missing shortcuts or applications that fail to start:

  • Microsoft Office is no longer listed in Programs and Features / Apps & Features.
  • The Word, Excel and PowerPoint desktop executables are no longer present on the computer.
  • I therefore cannot use the standard Microsoft procedure Apps & Features → Microsoft Office → Modify → Quick Repair, because Microsoft Office is no longer listed as an installed application.

I also checked the Windows Event Viewer (Application log) and found several MsiInstaller Event ID 11724 entries showing the successful removal of Office 16 Click-to-Run components, including:

  • Office 16 Click-to-Run Extensibility Component
  • Office 16 Click-to-Run Extensibility Component / 64-bit Registration
  • Office 16 Click-to-Run Localization Component
  • Office 16 Click-to-Run Licensing Component

The timing of these removal events corresponds to the disappearance of my Office desktop applications.

My computer is a Dell PC running Windows 10 Home 22H2.

I purchased this Dell computer in 2025, and Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook desktop applications were already installed and working when I received the computer. I did not separately purchase Microsoft 365 or Office, and I do not have an Office product key.

My Microsoft account currently shows no Microsoft 365 or Office subscription/license.

My Windows Update history shows:

  • “Click-to-Run Update Support” — September 24, 2026
  • Windows 10 22H2 cumulative update KB5122878

I have important accounting documents and other work files created with the desktop Office applications, including files created as recently as yesterday.

I have not intentionally uninstalled Office, repaired or reset Windows, or performed any action intended to remove Office.

I have also found a Microsoft Q&A report dated September 24, 2026 describing what appears to be the same issue: an existing Office Click-to-Run installation disappeared after the “Click-to-Run Update Support” update, with MsiInstaller Event ID 11724 entries showing the removal of Office 16 Click-to-Run components.

I am therefore asking Microsoft to investigate this as a possible Windows Update / Click-to-Run incident, rather than directing me to the standard Office repair procedure, which is not applicable because Office has already been removed from the installed applications.

Please tell me:

  1. Whether Microsoft has identified this issue;
  2. Whether the September 24, 2026 “Click-to-Run Update Support” update is known to cause this behavior;
  3. How I can restore my original desktop Word, Excel and PowerPoint applications;
  4. How I can restore them without purchasing a new Office license, since these applications were already installed and working on my Dell computer when I purchased it;
  5. Whether there is an official Microsoft recovery or repair procedure that will preserve my existing documents and my current Outlook configuration.

I do not want to reset Windows or risk losing my recent accounting work or my current Outlook configuration.

Please treat this as an incident requiring investigation rather than a standard Office installation or repair request.

Thank you for your assistance.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | Other | Windows
0 comments No comments

4 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Abinesh Magudeeswaran 230 Reputation points Student Ambassador
    2026-09-27T07:21:47.03+00:00

    Hello,

    The symptoms you describe are worth investigating, especially because you have Event ID 11724 entries showing removal of Office Click-to-Run components immediately around the time the Office applications disappeared.

    There is also another Microsoft Q&A report from September 24 describing a very similar sequence involving an existing Office 2016 Click-to-Run installation and the Windows Update entry shown as “Click-to-Run Update Support.” However, based on the currently published Microsoft documentation, I would not consider Microsoft to have officially confirmed that update as the cause of this incident.

    One important point is that KB5122878 and “Click-to-Run Update Support” should not be treated as the same update. KB5122878 is the September 2026 Windows 10 cumulative update. The “Click-to-Run Update Support” entry appears to be a separate Office/Click-to-Run-related update component.

    Since Office is no longer listed under Installed Apps and the Office executables are actually missing, Quick Repair is not applicable at this point.

    Before reinstalling anything

    I would recommend preserving the current state first:

    1. Do not reset Windows or delete your Office-related folders.

    Keep your accounting documents and other personal files backed up.

    Check whether a Microsoft Office folder still exists under: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\

    or

    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\

    Check whether Office is still associated with your Microsoft account or whether it was an OEM/perpetual Office license supplied with the Dell.

    Keep the Event Viewer records showing the MsiInstaller Event ID 11724 entries.

    About the Office license

    The fact that Office was already installed when you purchased the Dell does not by itself establish that the Office license is tied to your Microsoft account.

    Depending on how Dell supplied Office, it could have been:

    an OEM/preinstalled entitlement,

    a perpetual Office license,

    a Microsoft 365 trial/subscription,

    or another bundled license.

    Therefore, I would not recommend purchasing another Office license until the original entitlement has been identified.

    If the original license is recoverable, reinstalling the corresponding Office edition should not require purchasing Office again.

    Because you have evidence that Office components were actually removed rather than merely missing from the Start menu, I recommend opening a Microsoft Support case for Office installation/licensing investigation and providing the Event Viewer evidence.

    Include:

    Windows 10 22H2

    Dell model

    exact Office edition if known

    date/time Office disappeared

    Windows Update history

    the exact name of the “Click-to-Run Update Support” entry

    Event ID 11724 details

    whether C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\ still exists

    whether any Office license/product key or Dell documentation is available

    Microsoft's current KB5122878 documentation does not list Office being removed as a known issue, so the available evidence currently supports reporting this as a suspected incident rather than stating that the update is confirmed to be responsible.

    Most importantly, your existing Word/Excel/PowerPoint documents are separate from the Office program installation. Removing Office does not normally remove the .docx, .xlsx, or .pptx files themselves. Make a backup of those files before attempting further recovery.Hello,

    The symptoms you describe are worth investigating, especially because you have Event ID 11724 entries showing removal of Office Click-to-Run components immediately around the time the Office applications disappeared.

    There is also another Microsoft Q&A report from September 24 describing a very similar sequence involving an existing Office 2016 Click-to-Run installation and the Windows Update entry shown as “Click-to-Run Update Support.” However, based on the currently published Microsoft documentation, I would not consider Microsoft to have officially confirmed that update as the cause of this incident.

    One important point is that KB5122878 and “Click-to-Run Update Support” should not be treated as the same update. KB5122878 is the September 2026 Windows 10 cumulative update. The “Click-to-Run Update Support” entry appears to be a separate Office/Click-to-Run-related update component.

    Since Office is no longer listed under Installed Apps and the Office executables are actually missing, Quick Repair is not applicable at this point.

    Before reinstalling anything

    I would recommend preserving the current state first:

    Do not reset Windows or delete your Office-related folders.

    Keep your accounting documents and other personal files backed up.

    Check whether a Microsoft Office folder still exists under:
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\

    or

    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\

    Check whether Office is still associated with your Microsoft account or whether it was an OEM/perpetual Office license supplied with the Dell.

    Keep the Event Viewer records showing the MsiInstaller Event ID 11724 entries.

    About the Office license

    The fact that Office was already installed when you purchased the Dell does not by itself establish that the Office license is tied to your Microsoft account.

    Depending on how Dell supplied Office, it could have been:

    an OEM/preinstalled entitlement,

    a perpetual Office license,

    a Microsoft 365 trial/subscription,

    or another bundled license.

    Therefore, I would not recommend purchasing another Office license until the original entitlement has been identified.

    If the original license is recoverable, reinstalling the corresponding Office edition should not require purchasing Office again.

    Because you have evidence that Office components were actually removed rather than merely missing from the Start menu, I recommend opening a Microsoft Support case for Office installation/licensing investigation and providing the Event Viewer evidence.

    Include:

    Windows 10 22H2

    Dell model

    exact Office edition if known

    date/time Office disappeared

    Windows Update history

    the exact name of the “Click-to-Run Update Support” entry

    Event ID 11724 details

    whether C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\ still exists

    whether any Office license/product key or Dell documentation is available

    Microsoft's current KB5122878 documentation does not list Office being removed as a known issue, so the available evidence currently supports reporting this as a suspected incident rather than stating that the update is confirmed to be responsible.

    Most importantly, your existing Word/Excel/PowerPoint documents are separate from the Office program installation. Removing Office does not normally remove the .docx, .xlsx, or .pptx files themselves. Make a backup of those files before attempting further recovery.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  2. Mumka 5 Reputation points
    2026-09-27T12:04:04.5733333+00:00

    Hello, and thank you Abinesh Magudeeswaran for all the explanations.

    ChatGPT helped me run all these checks and draft a clear post, because I’m not technical at all and don't really understand any of this. I do plan to contact Microsoft tomorrow; I can confirm that my Word, Excel, and PowerPoint files are still there, but I can't open any of them. Since these make up 99% of my files as a freelancer, this is an extremely serious and urgent situation for me.

    Actually, last Friday, I noticed that Outlook had disappeared—both the shortcut icon on my taskbar and all my emails. Fortunately, my emails are also hosted by o2switch; while ChatGPT couldn't help with that specific issue, an o2switch technician managed to get everything back up and running in just five minutes.

    However, I hadn't realized until yesterday that Word, Excel, and PowerPoint had also disappeared in the same way—I only found out when I needed to open a document.

    To top it all off, I had just bought external hard drives to back up my computer's entire contents while reorganizing my folder structure and sorting through files, since I'm approaching 5 TB of data. Not only was I far from finishing those backups, but now that I can't access the document contents, it's hard to sort through them blindly. In short, it's a bit of a disaster...

    Honestly, I find it hard to grasp how such deletions can happen locally like this. It reminds me of when Adobe cut off access to our purchased Lightroom licenses overnight without warning—which is why so many of us switched to Affinity. In this case, I know the suite came with my Dell—which I bought directly from Dell, so it was customized—but I can't find any trace of it in 2021. I'm feeling a bit desperate... But apparently, I'm not the only one in this situation, even in recent years.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  3. Mumka 5 Reputation points
    2026-09-27T14:00:20.2833333+00:00

    Thanks, Imacri, for this valuable information. I'll look into it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  4. lmacri 2,505 Reputation points
    2026-09-27T13:10:02.7233333+00:00

    Hi Mumka:

    This is a known issue that appears to be affecting "perpetual" editions of Microsoft Office 2021 / 2019 / 2016. See the section titled "Important" in the Microsoft support article KB5002907: Optional update for out-of-date Microsoft 365 Apps installations for instructions on how to reinstall and/or reactivate your MS Office product if you are affected by this bug.

    More information is available in the 26-Sep-2026 Neowin article Microsoft shares fix as KB5002907 accidentally breaks licenses, deletes Windows Office apps and the 26-Sep-2026 BleepingComputer article Microsoft pauses KB5002907 update after Office license deactivations.

    Also see M C's 24-Sep-2026 topic KB5002907 is nuking valid licenses for Office 2016 and 2019 products in this Q&A forum, where I posted on 27-Sep-2027 about my own forced reinstall and reactivation of my Microsoft Office Home and Business 2019 C2R product after an update named “Click-to-Run Update Support“ was delivered to my Win 10 ESU laptop by Windows Update.


    Dell Inspiron 15 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.7725 * Firefox v156.0.1 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.26080.4-1.1.26080.3 * Malwarebytes Premium v5.7.1.346-165.0.5751 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7783 * Microsoft Office Home and Business 2019 C2R Version 2508 / Build 19127.20800

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.