Windows Update: Installation Failures — Troubleshooting and Assistance Needed

hbpaul 0 Reputation points
2026-09-16T10:03:25.6166667+00:00

Problem description

I am experiencing issues with Windows updates failing to install on my SQL Server in VM - Windows environment. The failures started on 2026-01-01, and the updates are being applied through standard Windows Update. The process fails at various steps, and I do not have specific error codes or logs capturing the root cause.

Environment

Azure-hosted SQL Server on a Windows virtual machine.

What I've already tried

I have not tried anything yet.

Current status

I am seeking guidance to identify the cause of the update failures and steps to resolve the issue.

SQL Server on Azure Virtual Machines

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Himaja Y 560 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-10-09T08:16:00.4366667+00:00

    Hi @hbpaul ,

    Issue** **Description: Windows Security Updates were failing to install on the Azure SQL Server VM hbdb-sql-vm7.

    Investigation:

    Azure-side checks showed the VM and Azure platform were healthy.

    The issue was isolated to the guest Windows operating system.

    CBS logs and troubleshooting indicated Windows servicing/component issues.

    Initial DISM repair reported that the required source files could not be found.

    SFC also detected system file corruption that could not initially be fully repaired.

    Resolution** **Provided: Recommended repairing the Windows component store using DISM, running sfc`` ``/scannow, rebooting the VM, and then retrying Windows Update.

    Final** Resolution: The customer performed DISM followed by SFC cleanup and rebooted the VM. After the reboot, Windows Update was retried and completed successfully without any **errors.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. hbpaul 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-16T10:07:36.8866667+00:00

    Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80246013: 2022-08 Security Update for Windows Server 2016 for x64-based Systems (KB5012170).

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.