Excel can't connect to the printer

Cheryl Blair 0 Reputation points
2026-06-23T22:10:03.6366667+00:00

I print, then I can't. Excel says it cannot connect to the printer. This happens often. I am connected to the wifi, as is the printer, same network.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. John Jefferson Doyon 89,540 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-06-23T22:49:26.09+00:00

    Hi, I'm John! I will help you with this.

    To narrow this down, does the same printer work from Word, Notepad, or a PDF when Excel gives that error? Also, is the printer added as a Wi-Fi printer, or through a shared printer from another PC?

    Since it happens often, it may be a printer connection/driver issue rather than Excel itself.

    Please try these first:

    • Restart the printer, the PC, and the router.
    • In Excel, go to File > Print and make sure the correct printer is selected.
    • Try printing from another app, like Notepad or Word.
    • Go to Settings > Bluetooth & devices > Printers & scanners, select the printer, and set it as the default printer.
    • Remove any stuck print jobs from the print queue.
    • Restart the Print Spooler:
    • Press Windows key + R, type services.msc press Enter, find Print Spooler, right-click it, then choose Restart.

    If the issue only happens in Excel, please also try opening Excel in safe mode:

    • Press Windows key + R, type: excel /safe
    • Then try printing again.

    Please let me know if other apps can print normally, and what printer model you are using.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.