Smart Card Reader not recognized in AVD on Mac.

Ryan 20 Reputation points
2024-10-15T16:10:16.1533333+00:00

Morning,

I am running a new 2024 Mac with Sequoia 15.0.1.

I am attempting to use the Azure Virtual Desktop for my organization.

I am able to login to the virtual desktop (VD) from my Mac just fine.

I open a browser in the VD then attempt to use my smart card to login to one of my organization's web pages, the VD does not see my smart card.

Looking into the redirect settings on my Windows App, I do have Smart Cards checked for redirect to the VD. My Mac also recognizes the Smart Card Reader in the System Report.

Am I missing anything that needs to be setup to properly redirect? Do I need to label my Smart Card Reader something specific?

Thank you for your time,

Ryan

Azure Virtual Desktop
Azure Virtual Desktop

A Microsoft desktop and app virtualization service that runs on Azure. Previously known as Windows Virtual Desktop.


2 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Rex Peralta 0 Reputation points
    2025-09-04T16:49:32.28+00:00

    Had this same problem. The MilitaryCAC site had my answer under "Problem 5" on their Azure Virtual Desktop page: https://militarycac.com/avd.htm

    Specifically, my problem was due to using a reader with known issues:

    -Zoweetek ZW-12026-1 -Rocketek -IOGEAR USB-C Smart Card Reader (TAA compliant)

    I changed to a different card reader as per Solution 5-2, then applied Solution 5-1 (unsetting, then resetting the "Smart cards" device under my connection's settings) and I was able to see my smart card certificates using the "Manage user certificates" app in my virtual desktop.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Bethany Mitchell 0 Reputation points
    2025-03-07T19:09:21.1166667+00:00

    I have been having the same issue with my new Mac. I am confident these instructions will get me what I need. However, I am unsure where to locate step 1, "Remote Desktop Connection client." Can someone help me?

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.