Microsoft account stuck on legacy Yahoo primary alias; "Make primary" fails on all aliases; can't set up new Windows PC with online account

Hernan 0 Reputation points
2026-10-10T21:11:58.4+00:00

My Microsoft account has what looks like a backend inconsistency, and it's blocking me from signing in on a new Windows PC with my online account. I've spent hours on this, including a support chat that didn't escalate.

THE SYMPTOMS

  1. account.microsoft.com > Your info > Account info shows my everyday address ([PII removed]@outlook.com) as "the email address you use to sign in to your Microsoft account."
  2. account.live.com/names/manage does NOT list that address. It lists only a legacy Yahoo address (primary), a Gmail address, and two other Outlook aliases.
  3. Trying to add the Outlook address there gives: "This email address is already taken."
  4. "Make primary" fails on every alias with: "We were unable to make [alias] your primary alias. Please try again later." This happens in InPrivate windows and after waiting.
  5. The name card at the top left of the account page still shows the legacy Yahoo address.
  6. On the new PC, signing in with the Outlook address (password or passkey) fails and switches to the Yahoo address. Windows setup then says something went wrong registering the Yahoo address for Windows Hello.
  7. Sign-in error details: Tag 7q6ca, Code [PII removed], Timestamp 2026-10-11T09:53:18Z. (Correlation ID was all zeros.)

WHAT I WANT

  • Backend alias records repaired so my Outlook address is listed and can be made primary.
  • Yahoo no longer primary (I don't use that address or have a working inbox there).
  • Windows Hello, passkeys, and online sign-in working on the new PC.
  • No address removed and no account closed.

WHAT I'VE TRIED

  • Make primary on multiple aliases (fails every time)
  • Adding the Outlook address as an alias (says already taken)
  • InPrivate windows and different timing
  • Live chat with Microsoft Support. The agent said the Outlook address "was previously removed as an alias" even though it still shows on the profile page, and suggested adding a new email. I did not do that, since Make primary fails on existing aliases.
  • added NEW outlook email to managed ([PII removed]@outlook.com), it adds to the list of account usernames, but also that one fails to be primary with same error message "We were unable to make [PII removed]@outlook.com your primary alias. Please try again later."

QUESTIONS

  • How can I get this escalated to the account/identity team?
  • Is there a way to get a case number or a human agent who can repair alias records?

I am on chat with a tier 1 agent for over 2 hours! and we go in circles. He can't remove the @yahoo account, he can't explain why or add my [PII removed]@outlook.com email to the manage, and he can't solve the problem of authenticating on the new PC with msft online account to link it to this account I use on my old PC .

if there is no tier 2 support and some human on MSFT side that can fix it, I am going to just make new MSFT account and slowly kill the old one , as I am about to go crazy here

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | Other
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Kai-H 28,245 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-10-11T10:47:52.8933333+00:00

    (Please note that our forum is a public platform, and we will modify your question to hide your personal information in the description. Kindly ensure that you hide any personal or organizational information the next time you post an error or other details to protect personal data.)

    Hi, Hernan

    I understand why you’re frustrated after two hours of repeating the same steps. Since even the newly created alias fails, I wouldn’t suggest adding more addresses, but the symptoms alone don’t confirm a backend inconsistency.

    While you’re still in chat, I recommend asking:

    “Please document that Make primary fails on every alias, including a newly created Outlook alias, and that my profile and alias list disagree. Please provide a case/reference number and request review of this unresolved technical issue through your available escalation process. I do not authorize removing any address or closing my account.”

    Ask the agent to include screenshots, the Windows Hello error, tag 7q6ca, code and timestamp, and confirm a working contact email.

    I can’t promise a Tier 2 transfer or manual repair. Support agents are not permitted to access or change protected account details.

    Keep the old account intact for now. A replacement account cannot be merged with it, and purchases and Xbox progress cannot be transferred.

    Please be advised that this is a user-to-user support forum. Moderators and contributors, including external Microsoft employees, are not allowed to directly interfere with Microsoft product features or access back-end systems. Our role is limited solely to providing technical guidance on reported incidents, requests, or ideas.  

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.