problem deleting Databricks workspace

Cloud Account 0 Reputation points
2026-10-10T20:09:04.2233333+00:00

Hello,

I’m having an issue deleting an Azure Databricks workspace.

The workspace has been stuck in the Deleting state for about 2 days and the deletion never completes.

The deletion was initially triggered through Terraform while replacing the workspace in order to recreate it with VNet Injection.

Terraform eventually failed with:

Error: deleting Workspace: unexpected status 409 (409 Conflict)  ApplianceBeingDeleted: The operation cannot be performed on the appliance 'XXXXXX-001' because it is being deleted.

I also tried deleting the workspace directly from the Azure Portal, but the operation failed.

I then tried the Azure CLI with forced deletion:

az databricks workspace delete `   --name XXXXXXX `   --resource-group rg-XXXXXX `   --force-deletion true `   --yes

but I still receive:

(ApplianceBeingDeleted) The operation cannot be performed on the appliance 'XXXXXXX' because it is being deleted.

Running:

az databricks workspace show `   --name XXX   --resource-group XXX`   --query "provisioningState" `   -o tsv

still returns:

Deleting

The workspace therefore appears to be stuck in the Azure Databricks backend/control plane deletion process.

I have not manually deleted the Databricks managed resource group, as I do not want to leave orphaned resources or make the situation worse.

Is there a supported way to recover or force-clean a Databricks workspace stuck in Deleting / ApplianceBeingDeleted state? Does this require a backend cleanup by Microsoft support?

Thank you.

Azure Databricks
Azure Databricks

An Apache Spark-based analytics platform optimized for Azure.

0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.