After BIOS update 0xC004C003

Bohdan Nehrutsia 0 Reputation points
2026-10-10T20:04:22.68+00:00

I updated the BIOS on my motherboard. Today, a pop-up window appeared asking me to activate Windows. An error is displayed in the settings, and my motherboard appears twice in the list of devices linked to my account, even though I only own one computer with that motherboard. Please help me restore my Windows activation.

Windows for home | Other | Licensing and activation
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Bohdan Nehrutsia 0 Reputation points
    2026-10-11T10:31:50.9966667+00:00

    Hi Ivan,

    I bought the license separately. It was a digital license with a a 25-digit key. I built the computer myself and activated it later.

    "activation after a hardware change" window tells me:

    "We couldn’t find any devices linked to your Microsoft account that can be used to reactivate your current device. Sign in with the Microsoft account linked to the Windows 10 digital license on this device, or try again later."

    "Windows cannot reactivate these devices".

    "If your streaming device is not displayed, go to the same Microsoft account that is associated with the Windows Digital License on your device."

    I’ve already tried everything you listed. I found a video on YouTube (with Timecode) that describes my problem.

    https://youtu.be/op_iFCu5_R0?si=WlKT3DGHenWSfeAx&t=163

    Just like in the video, my list of devices linked to the account shows two identical motherboards, even though I only have one PC with that hardware. I haven't found anything that helps yet. Windows is prompting me to buy a new license. Do I really have to buy a new key after every BIOS update now? Please help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Ivan B 125.1K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-10T20:42:35.77+00:00

    Hi,

    This can happen after a BIOS update. Try using the "activation after a hardware change" option—even if you didn't actually change any hardware—to activate your current Windows installation.

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/activation/reactivating-windows-after-a-hardware-change

    If that fails: did you purchase a separate Windows license (for Windows 7, 8/8.1, or 10)?

    If so, was it a digital license or a physical one with a 25-digit key?

    If not, did the computer come pre-activated with Windows 10 or 11?

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.