A family of Microsoft word processing software products for creating web, email, and print documents.
Are you able to save successfully in the system Documents folder on your Mac?
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
When I reopen a document after word has closed and/or I have restarted my computer, the document will not re-save.
It will save if I "save-as" a new document - but this is NOT a fix, that does not allow me to use microsoft word as it is intended. I need to be able to close and reopen documents while continuing to save them WITHOUT having to resave them as brand new documents. I save files on my desktop, I do not use cloud or onedrive.
A family of Microsoft word processing software products for creating web, email, and print documents.
Are you able to save successfully in the system Documents folder on your Mac?
AI answer
This matches a known Mac Word save issue where documents may stop saving normally after reopening, and Save As works as a temporary workaround.
Try these steps in order:
/Users/<username>/Library/Containers/com.Microsoft/Data/Library/Preferences/AutoRecoveryIf the issue is specifically that a document reopens, asks to save, then closes and instantly reopens without actually saving, the supported guidance in context is to first rule out a permissions/profile problem with a new macOS user account, then reinstall Office for Mac.