Azure Migrate: Guidance Needed for Migrating Proxmox VMs to Azure — Migration Process and Troubleshooting

JonathanPortnoy-7263 0 Reputation points
2026-10-08T22:20:00.0866667+00:00

Problem description

I am seeking guidance on migrating on-premises virtual machines hosted on Proxmox to Azure. The available documentation seems to stop after setting up the Azure Migrate appliance, without providing clear next steps tailored for Proxmox environments. I want to understand the high-level process for such a migration, including assessment, replication, testing, and final cutover.

Environment

The environment involves on-premises virtual machines running on Proxmox. The source platform is Proxmox, after moving away from VMware. The target is Azure, using Azure Migrate. Specific details about the Azure environment, such as project configuration, region, appliance deployment status, and migration mode, are not specified in the case information.

What I've already tried

I have configured the Azure Migrate appliance and completed the discovery process successfully. I registered the appliance and verified that the server appears under workloads in the Azure portal. When attempting to execute the migration, I encounter an error indicating that no replication appliance is registered, which leads to an endless loop of setup instructions. I have reviewed the documentation but cannot find specific guidance for Proxmox VMs, and I have not attempted any migration steps beyond appliance setup.

Current status

I am currently stuck at the point where the migration fails due to the missing replication setup. I need detailed, step-by-step guidance on how to proceed with migrating Proxmox-hosted VMs into Azure, including any additional configuration, tools, or procedures required. My goal is to successfully migrate these VMs with minimal disruption, ensuring proper assessment, replication, testing, and cutover.

Azure Migrate
Azure Migrate

A central hub of Azure cloud migration services and tools to discover, assess, and migrate workloads to the cloud.


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.